The University of Sheffield’s Sri Lankan Society won this year’s ‘Battle of the Bands: Blast from the past!’ competition.

The event was organised by the International Students’ Committee (ISC) and took place in the Students’ Union’s Foundry.

Dozens of students came to see the five participating societies go head to head. The University of Sheffield’s Arab Society were first to play, followed by the Indian Society, the Malaysian Student Association, the Pakistan Society and the Sri Lankan Society.

“A security guard came up to thank US for making their shift so enjoyable. It’s moments like this that people remember.”

After a number of entertaining performances, the judges named the Sri Lankan Society the winner for the second time in three years.

Celebrating different cultures

The feel good evening was jam-packed with talent. Picture: Kalina Mileva / ISC

Speaking after the event on Thursday 29 November, Dinura Gunawardena, President of the Sri Lankan Society, said: “I am so proud of the guys and girls who took part. They really deserved it.

“There was one moment which truly made the band’s day. A security guard came up to thank them for making their shift so enjoyable. It’s moments like this that people remember.

“The other societies were also absolutely fantastic and a big shout out to the ISC for bringing people of different cultures and creeds together to have a good time.”

Sri Lankan Society triumphed for the second time in three years. Credit: Kalina Mileva / ISC

Naveen Malwatta was the front man of the Sri Lankan Society’s band that night and performed as vocalist, acoustic guitarist and Thammattama drummer.

He said: “Performing at Battle of the Bands was a lot of fun and to come out as winners was the icing on the cake. We wanted to bring a new form of energy to the stage and connect with the audience.”

A smashing night all round

Students from across the world came together. Credit: Kalina Mileva / ISC

His band played classic songs including ABBA’s Waterloo and Michael Jackson’s Black or White but also impressed with a Sri Lankan song called Na Na Ne, to which the crowd was singing along.

Naveen added: “The support we had from the members of our society was amazing. They came in numbers and we are so grateful.

“We would like to thank the organisers and congratulate all other societies who took part in the competition.“

Monica Kutrowski, ISC Publicity Officer, is proud of all the efforts that went into making this event a success.

She said: “We were able to almost double ticket sales from last year! All of our committee members put their heart and soul into this event, so we are really pleased with how it turned out.”