US President Donald Trump is no stranger to hate and criticism in the media, often for good reason. Recently, he received criticism for missing the Armistice Day commemoration in France because of the rain, or as the White House so elegantly put it “scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather”. This was disappointing but not surprising; Trump has been president for almost two years and behaviour like this for him is normal.

Like many, I was upset and frankly quite worried when he took office almost two years ago. He doesn’t seem to grasp the full extent and demand of politics and only seems to care about himself (and white Republicans). Looking back now I can’t help but wonder if he has accomplished anything substantial, apart from offending almost everybody and maintaining his impressive tweeting rate?

During the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham (South Carolina) said in a message to Trump: “You do some things that drive me crazy. You do some great things.” However, I don’t fully agree with this statement.

Trump has done many things that were thoughtless and damaging, like pulling the US out of the Paris Climate Change Agreement and moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Both actions have received heavy criticism from politicians and citizens in America and around the world. Moreover, one constant with Trump seems to be he doesn’t realise the severity of some domestic issues. When asked to comment on situations like gun control or race issues he always tries to make the situation about something else and blame a so-called liberal elite.

However, he deserves credit for beginning conversations with Kim Jong-un, with a view to end North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme. This was the first ever meeting between the leaders of the US and North Korea. He also claims to have helped the US economy massively and reduce unemployment – although he does tend to claim a personal victory for things that have little or nothing to do with him.

In my opinion, Trump has a long way to go before he can be considered a good or even adequate president – and if the next half of his term is anything like the first, I won’t be holding my breath.

Image: White House Facebook page