Sheffield Wednesday Football Club have announced that an upcoming fan forum at the Octagon has been cancelled by the venue.

The event was due to be held this Thursday 20 December, but the club announced that it had been cancelled by the University of Sheffield.

Hillsborough Stadium was initially set to host the fan forum, but unexpected demand for free tickets meant it needed to be moved to a bigger venue, which was announced last week.

A spokesperson from the University of Sheffield said: “In response to comments on social media, the risk assessment for this event has been reviewed and updated with regards to stewarding and safety.

“To ensure the safety of students, staff and visitors to our campus this booking has now been cancelled. We apologise to the club and fans for any inconvenience caused.”

Sheffield Wednesday are still hopeful that the event can go ahead, provided an alternative venue can be found by Sunday.

The club’s manager, Jos Luhukay, has come under increasing scrutiny after a run of poor form this season, which has seen The Owls keep just one clean sheet in the league all season.

Fans have been calling for him to be sacked at matches and on social media, which could be the comments the statement from the University refers to.

A statement from the club read: “We fully understand the expected frustrations of our supporters following this development but the decision was made entirely by the Octagon Centre despite our best efforts to provide assurances over their concerns.

“The club will provide a further update in due course.”