The Sydney boys were back in town on Sunday as the Australian three-piece, DMA’s, headlined the O2 Academy Sheffield for the first time, having previously headlined Plug just a few months ago. Cutting their teeth supporting various British indie mainstays like Courteeners and Kasabian around the UK, this time DMA’s took on their biggest UK headline tour, which included a sell-out gig at Manchester’s 5,000 capacity Victoria Warehouse a couple of days earlier.

Strolling on stage no less than twenty minutes late to an admittedly subdued O2 Academy, DMA’s, who expand to become a six-piece when playing live, open with ‘Play it Out’, the closer on 2016 debut ‘Hills End’. They play ‘Dawning’, ‘Melbourne’, ‘Timeless’, ‘In the Air’ and ‘Warsaw’ without too much crowd engagement between songs, though fans have come to expect the band letting the music do the talking these days, still, it didn’t really say much on this occasion either.

‘Time & Money’, hit ‘Step Up the Morphine’, ‘For Now’, ‘Lazy Love’ and an acoustic version of ‘The End’ follow, again with little engagement, though the crowd sing every anthemic chorus as if it were their own.

The band, and in particular frontman Tommy O’Dell, almost look lost in-between songs, like they’ve just emerged from a week-long bender and now have to face their parents – I’d imagine they might have been thinking the same thing with 2,300 expectant faces staring back at them. Their unique style of 90s streetwear crossed with painter/decorator chic makes you think they wouldn’t look out of place fiending for spice from shocked passers-by on West Street, especially this evening.

‘Delete’, ‘Reprise’ and ‘Emily Whyte’ are played before the band exit for one of the quickest encore’s I have ever experienced, the crowd barely even getting the chance to get the omnipresent ‘Yorkshire’ chant going before DMA’s managed to find their way back to the stage. ‘Feels Like 37’, ‘Laced’ and ‘Lay Down’, perhaps the only song which got both the crowd and band excited, played the evening out before another prompt exit by the six-piece.

As exciting as DMA’s are, being touted as the next Oasis, this was an altogether disappointing performance from the Aussie lads. Perhaps it was fatigue from the extensive touring they’ve done this year, perhaps it was the aforementioned bender, but performance consistency is key should they want to come back and sell tickets again and again. It was truthfully a lazy performance, especially compared to the times I have caught them before, it was obvious all they wanted to do was go home and ‘Lay Down’.