The fixtures for Sheffield Varsity 2019, when Uni of will be looking for a seventh straight annual victory in the competition, have been released today.

The two-week event – which this year comprises of 79 fixtures in 32 different sports – will take place from Wednesday 13 March to Wednesday 27 March, culminating in the showpiece finale of ice hockey at the FlyDSA Arena.

The University of Sheffield already hold a 3-1 lead over Sheffield Hallam after last month’s snowsports fixtures at Val Thorens in France.

Sports Officer Sarah Morse said: “It’s hard to think of another university event that has the power to unite as many people around a shared passion as Varsity does.

“It is the climax of the university calendar for thousands of students, often cited as the most memorable and enjoyable student experience whilst at Sheffield.

“Varsity gives sport at both universities the recognition it deserves and provides a platform for our committed student athletes to showcase all their hard work in a fun and competitive environment.”

University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam students playing ultimate frisbee at Hallam Sports Park (credit: Forge Media)

The two-week event kicks off with a Downhill Dual Slalom race at Parkwood Springs.

The organisers are expecting around 15,000 spectators for this year’s proceedings. 2019 is likely to see the tie on overall Varsity wins broken, as the two universities are currently level with ten wins each after Uni of’s 45-34 triumph last year.

Hillsborough will once again host the men’s and women’s 1’s football matches on Tuesday 19 March. Sheffield Wednesday FC’s ground held the two games as the final fixtures last year, and the men closed out Varsity with a dramatic 3-2 win, coming from behind in the final minutes after the women’s team won their game earlier in the afternoon.

Uni of and Hallam footballers challenge for a corner at Hillsborough (credit: Dan West)

The popular boxing event will once again be held at the Octogan on Thursday 21 March.

Tickets for events which require them, such as ice hockey and boxing, are expected to be put on sale in early February.

The rest of the fixtures can be found at http://bit.ly/VarsityFixtures.