Musicians, comedians, DJs and more will be taking over Sheffield Students’ Union next month for Platform Festival, as the team behind the event confirm their 2019 line-up.

The student led festival will take place from Friday 8 to Sunday 10 March this year to raise money for local charity Cavendish Cancer Care.

Acts vary from DJs and beatboxers to yoga workshops and ‘Shakespeare for Breakfast’, organised by Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo).

“I’m really excited, I just wrote a list of everything and we’ve got a range of stuff”

Co-chair Hannah Lloyd, who will be performing at the festival herself, was enthusiastic about this year’s line-up.

She said: “I’m really excited, I just wrote a list of everything and we’ve got a range of stuff. Loads of live music, and not just uni bands as well. We have Music Players Society bands playing, we have local artists – I am one of them.

“Then we have some theatre workshops from SUTCo which is really nice, and we have some external people coming in for that. Then we have some improv which is cool, because we don’t usually have that much comedy at Platform so that’s quite nice, and there’s another couple of theatre pieces.

“There are some DJ sets which will be interesting I think because it’s not a particularly late one. At the moment it’s meant to be from 9pm-11pm so we were like… pre drinks? We’ll see.”

Platform’s eight committee members, along with other student volunteers, have responsibility for organising everything for the event from creativity and content to publicity, tech and fundraising.

Preparation for the event starts as soon as the new committee are elected in April.

The 2019 line-up in full

“Considering how much you get for it, it’s such good value,” added Hannah. “Even one usual SUPAS show would be £7 or £8, but you’re getting a whole weekend for like a tenner.

“Honestly, it’s such a fun weekend. Everyone gets really involved and it’s for such a good cause. We go down to Cavendish Cancer Care every year to talk to Jonny, who’s in charge of the fundraising side of things, and he explains to us what they’ve been doing, and the work they do is just so important.

“So it’s for a good cause, and it’s really fun, and it’s supporting the university and the local community.”

Tickets are priced at £5.50 for a day or £11 for the weekend and are available here.