Societies from Horror Soc to Assassins Guild are putting on a week of free give-it-a-go sessions to give students an opportunity to discover their inner geek.

‘Geek Week’ launched last year, but 2019’s event aims to be bigger than ever. It kicks off today, and will see 11 societies host a variety of events until Saturday 2 March.

Alexa Hancocks, President of Sheffield Assassins Guild and Special Interest Liaison on Societies Committee, helped organise the event with her fellow Special Interest Liaison Joel Kirk.

Games in Sheffield SU’s Activities Zone

The pair were helped by Project Nerd, a group which encourages collaboration between the committees of various geeky societies.

“Geek Week celebration of all nerdy things within the Sheffield University Students’ Union”, said Alexa.

“The week consists of various events from a number of Special Interest societies, including Horror and Anime screenings, Boardgames, Medieval Reenactment, Nerf guns and so much more.

“All the events are tailored to welcome those who have never tried these societies before, so come along and enjoy whatever takes your fancy. Its a chance to let loose and try things you never thought you’d love!”

Assassins Guild in the middle of a game

Geek Week has come about as replacement for ShefUniCon, a one-day convention at which geeky societies celebrated their interests and gave students a chance to try something new.

As the event became too big to fit into a single day, last year’s Special Interest Liaisons proposed extending it into a week-long celebration of give-it-a-go style events, and this year Alexa and Joel decided to run with it.

“I think the stigma around ‘geeky’ activities has got better over the last few years … however there is definitely some way to go”

“I think the stigma around ‘geeky’ activities has got better over the last few years, especially with films like Marvel and DC becoming box office record breakers,” added Alexa.

“However, there is definitely some way to go. Whilst some activities are becoming more mainstream, there are still a lot of societies which people would dismiss as geeky which they could enjoy doing.”

The full line-up for Geek Week 2019

All Geek Week events are free and open to all, and you can find more info on their Facebook event here.

See the full list of participating societies:

Anime Society, Assassins Guild, Boardgames Society, Comic Book Society, Cosplay Society, Horror Society, Medieval Society, Pokesoc, Roboteers Society, SLUGsoc, Wargames Society.