Supertram, the tram service that runs through Sheffield, is to intermittently stop services over a period of five months between April and August this year.

Stagecoach, the company that runs the service, is halting services to replace essential tracks which were initially laid in the early 1990s, according to the Sheffield Star.

Services between Hillsborough Corner and Middlewood Road will be the first to undergo the replacement and will be affected from April 19 to June 2.

Glossop Road and the University tram stop will be affected from August 25 to 30. Image: Juliet Cookson

The line from Shalesmoor towards Hillsborough will be affected from June 3 to July 18 with further work around Shalesmoor taking place from July 22 to July 25. Whilst he Hillsborough line towards Holme Lane will be affected from July 26 until August 9.

Finally, Glossop Road and the University tram stop, located outside the IC will be affected from August 25 to 30.

The work will be complete just before the start of the 2019/20 academic year, in which SU President-elect Jake Verity has promised students a new ‘student tram fare’.

READ MORE:

Supertram already has a discount for students, who can currently go to the SU welcome desk and get a ‘day rider’ pass for £3.60 instead of the standard £4.20. However there are currently no student discounts available for single and return tickets.

In Forge TV Debates for SU Elections, Verity said this “simply isn’t enough of a discount” and said that students should instead be “looking for a £2.50 tram fare”.

President elect Jake Verity argued his case for student tram discounts at Forge Debates. Image: Chelsea Burrell

Despite the work, Stagecoach expects to operate a full Supertram service for Tramlines Festival, which takes place in Hillsborough Park for the second year running on the weekend of July 19 to 21.

There will be busses running as a tram replacement service while the work takes place.

There will be two drop in sessions for those who would like to find out more about the replacement taking place on Wednesday March 13 at Hillsborough Library from 12pm to 3pm and Hillsborough Interchange on Wednesday March 20 from 3pm to 6pm.

A full breakdown of the dates and locations affected can be found below:

April 19 to June 2 – Hillsborough Corner and Middlewood Road

June 3 to July 18 – Shalesmoor towards Hillsborough

July 22 to July 25 – Further Shalesmoor work

July 26 to August 9 – Hillsborough towards Holme Lane

August 25 to August 30 – Glossop Road and University

Main image: Juliet Cookson