Sheffield students will join thousands worldwide tomorrow in walking out of school and university to resoundingly reject any further climate damage.

This coming Friday, pupils will gather outside Sheffield Town Hall and march through the city as part of the biggest youth strike to protect the planet yet.

Organised by a coalition of young climate activists, participants are now more determined than ever to demonstrate against the destruction of their future.

Amid recent calls for governments and councils to declare a climate emergency, youths around the world are now calling on governments to take action.

MORE SHEFFIELD CLIMATE NEWS:

‘I don’t want your hope’

The climate protests have become a regular feature as concerns grow over where the planet is heading. Picture supplied by Ynez Wahab

Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old climate activist from Sweden started the movement by striking from school every Friday since last September.

“Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people to give them hope, but I don’t want your hope. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is,” she said.  

The youth climate strike movement encourages young people ‘find a voice in the chaos’ and protect future generations, amid continued warnings from scientists that the Earth is reaching its limits.

In the hopes of achieving climate justice, the protestors say governments are not doing enough to avert ecological crisis and must listen to campaigners.

The Sheffield branch of green activism group Extinction Rebellion said: “We need to panic.”

Anyone wanting to join the gathering tomorrow morning should meet outside Sheffield Town Hall at 11am. Can’t make it? Fear not, check right here at forge today.com for the latest coverage from the event.