@ewansomerville

In an age where environmental activism is gaining more and more attention on social media, we decided we would capture Sheffield Extinction Rebellion’s most visible protest yet, on our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter channels.

Dozens of campaigners descended  on one of Sheffield’s busiest roads between 8 and 9am on Tuesday, March 19, blocking four lanes of traffic for around seven minutes at a time. Here’s the highlights from the action on Sheaf Street, near Sheffield train station.

Our News Editor with the lowdown

A raging commuter

See this on our Facebook page, including live reaction, here. 

Some of our best pictures

Picture: Ewan Somerville
Picture: Ewan Somerville

“We don’t actually have THE cHOICE, THE LUXURY,OF DECIDING WHETHER TO ACT. We’ve just got to get on with it” – ALISON TEAL

Picture: Ewan Somerville

Picture: Ewan Somerville

Forge Press chats to Green Sheffield City Councillor Alison Teal

“I agree wholeheartedly that it’s a huge mistake to be expanding any of the road network, what we need to be doing is lobbying Dan Jarvis who is the regional mayor who was elected last year, to improve the infrastructure and we need to have more buses and more trams and more trains,” Cllr Alison Teal told Forge Press.

“We need to encourage more active travel and we need to bring about those sorts of changes and yet he’s been in post for nearly a year and as far as I know absolutely nothing has happened yet.

“The Labour Party [in Sheffield] actually declared a climate emergency and then turned around and said, ‘oh well we’ve got target of 2050 in place we’re not sure if we can actually achieve 2030 so we need to think about it’. That’s wrong-headed thinking. It’s not a question of ‘can we do it or can’t we’, the point is we need to try as heard as we possibly can.

“The IPCC has given us until 2030 to more than halve our carbon emissions so thats a veyr ambitious target, yes its very difficult, but if we don’t try we’ll never achieve it, we won’t even come close. So to say that we just need to think about whether it’s achievable is a nonsense. 

“We don’t actually have that choice, that luxury, that’s the deeply frustrating part. We’ve just got to get on with it.”

The scene

Emotions rising as high as the sea levels

‘I get the cause, but not the method’

@ewansomerville