Police say they do not believe a note reportedly warning against taking a Sheffield tram to be suspicious.

University security and the police launched an investigation after a note was found, reportedly in Sheffield SU’s Bar One on Tuesday, reading: “Don’t get on the tram tomorrow”.

There were fears as thousands of students from both Sheffield universities prepared to use the city’s tram network to travel to the Fly DSA arena last night (Wednesday) for the finale of this year’s Varsity competition.

But the police reassured the student and Sheffield community that the “rumour…has been thoroughly investigated and is not believed to be genuine.”

Speaking to Forge Press last night, Sheffield District Commander Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton added: “However should anyone feel concerned for their safety we would encourage them to speak to our officers who are on patrol across the city centre this evening.

“Tonight is a fantastic event for our student population, we hope everyone has a brilliant evening and Sheffield as a whole is the winner tonight!”

Varsity Ice Hockey saw the University of Sheffield triumph against Hallam 3-2 with the overall victory already under their belt.

Many of the Black and Gold revellers then took to foundry for the flagship Varsity ROAR.

@ewansomerville