@ewansomerville Published 15.13

One of Sheffield’s most iconic student bars has announced its shock closure, marking the end of an era for the city’s night out scene.

The Harley said today that its doors will shut with immediate effect.

The club, much loved among students for its house, bass and garage nights, said that financial pressures have left it with no choice but to turn the lights off.

“It brings us great sadness that we have to shut The Harley with immediate effect,” the Harley told fans on its Facebook page.

“sheffield is cancelled”

“Mounting financial pressures, much like many other music venues across the country, means that the business was no longer viable.”

All future events lined up for the historic venue, at the bottom of Glossop Road near Sheffield Students’ Union, will be relocated elsewhere, the club added.

So many memories

Students, locals and graduates reacted with sadness and confusion on Twitter, one writing “Sheffield is cancelled”.

Organisers for Sheffield’s renowned Doc/Fest said they were “heartbroken” at the news.

Picture: Google

Journalist Andrew Trendall tweeted: “Gutted. Loved The Harley when i lived in Sheffield. Support your local venue.”

Once home to Souljam, now a sell-out hit at Sheffield SU’s Foundry, the pub has become a staple part of the student night out scene in the city with speciality nights including Drake and ABBA.

READ MORE: news and reviews from the Forge Music team

“The Harley closing in Sheffield is so sad, been to so many gigs there,” Twitter user Soph added.

“Although it wasn’t my favourite venue in sheff I will definitely be sad to see another small venue that I’ve enjoyed so many gigs at close down.”

Jon1st, branded in his Twitter bio as a DJ, said: “Really sad to hear about The Harley in Sheffield closing down. I had a great time playing there for Thirsty Ear a few years back and going as a punter a bunch.

“Always great programming. This is sadly such regular news now – these venues are so needed for independent artists.”

The Harley: it’s not the end

It follows outcry last year when rumours emerged that Plug, another historic Steel City music venue, was closing its doors.

RELATED: Plug is actually staying, not becoming a golf shop

But at the time, contrary to the reports of other publications, Forge Press confirmed that Plug, once home to iconic Sheffield band the Arctic Monkeys, was remaining open.

Since 2011 the Harley has also been home to independent Sheffield restaurant the Twisted Burger Company, which the company promised will continue.

Managers added: “The Harley, over the years, has been a beacon for new music, bands, and grassroots promoters.

“The venue may have come to an end, but the memories will live on.”

@ewansomerville