Bloxx were the first act of the day for Forge Press at T’Other Stage. You could feel the on-stage chemistry between the band members who performed their latest single ‘Headspace’ and indie-rock anthem ‘You’.

Sheffield band Graces rocked out at the Leadmill Stage and T’Other stage tent was completely full of The Rifles fans ready for their set which included their popular songs ‘Local Boy’ and ‘The Great Escape’.

Crowds gathered to sing along to Lewis Capaldi’s moving, power hits ‘Someone You Loved’ and ‘Hold Me While You Wait.’ He continued the digs at Noel Gallagher by introducing himself as ‘Chewbacca’ which Noel called Lewis in an interview earlier this month and he had the audience in stitches with his stage patter between songs. 

Tom Grennan, meanwhile, really knows how to put on a show! His set included a gospel choir and a brass trio as he performed ‘Something in the Water’, ‘Barbed Wire’, ‘Royal Highness’ and many more hits from his 2018 album Lighting Matches. He told the crowd that Tramlines is one of his favourite festivals and that “Sheffield has his heart.”

Nile Rogers and Chic were the perfect way to end an amazing weekend: a non-stop bop to 80s classics that Nile produced including hits by Madonna, Bowie and Duran Duran. The crowd was blown away as Kimberly Davis boasted her powerful vocals to a cover of Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky’ and Nile dedicated a moment to say “I feel like the luckiest man alive” after talking about his career and his triumph over his cancer battle. Then the crowd got back into the dancing groove for an encore of Chic classics ‘Le Freak’ and ‘Good Times’.

2 COMMENTS

1. I enjoyed Tramlines 2019 for the first time this year and had an absolute blast! The ending by Nile Rogers and Chic was absolutely fantastic! What an amazing ‘party’. I just have one complaint, the festival is trying to attract more families which is great, however, if I had brought small children with me, I wouldn’t be happy with all the swearing on stage. It really isn’t necessary in my opinion. Nile was a gentleman and was about to swear but said that because there were children around, he chose not too – true gentleman! I love Lewis Capaldi, what an amazing voice, but all the swearing ….. really? I lost a bit of respect for him. I think these up and coming young stars should set a good example. Just my humble opinion…

2. Hi Mandy, I agree with you, I think these bands feel if they don’t swear their fans will think they’ve gone soft or something. Whatever the reason I felt it was often forced and unnecessary. I’m afraid I also thought the direction to and organisation of the trams on Friday night was chaotic, we used the bus Saturday and Sunday which was much better. Why didn’t the tram company sell tickets at the festival during the day?

Right, moan over! Apart from the above niggles we totally LOVED the festival and were really impressed with the lineup, fantastic value for money. We live near Glastonbury and were devastated not to get tickets this year after an unbroken run since 2002. We booked this on the a spur of the moment and were not expecting much, the main draw being Chic and the amazingly low price. How wrong we were, we saw loads of brilliant bands we had never heard of before but couldn’t believe the quality of the booking. I see the early bird tickets for next year are already sold out, i’m not surprised.