The University of Sheffield’s COVID-19 Management Group have announced a number of “temporary changes”, including closing libraries, in order to help deal with the spread of coronavirus.

This is the latest in a number of changes being made on campus in order to help contain the disease, which began with the suspension of face-to-face teaching from Monday 16 March onwards. The announcement was made in an email to all students.

However, due to updated Government guidance, the University has introduced a number of new changes. From tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9.00am, all libraries will be closed until further notice, while students’ learning will be supported through online resources instead, and librarians can still be contacted online.

Sport Sheffield facilities are also closing from 10.00pm tonight (Tuesday), including the gym, swimming pool and bookable facilities.

They also confirmed that Sheffield Varsity has been cancelled, as announced earlier, while the Students’ Union is stripping back face-to-face services, and reverting to vacation opening hours.

Facilities in the University halls of residence will remain open for the time being, including the Village Shop at Endcliffe Student Village. Residence Life are maintaining contact with students self-isolating on campus, and are supporting them whilst they do so.

Teaching has now been suspended at both Sheffield universities until further notice, whilst accommodations are being made in terms of students’ assessments in what is a troubling time.

Meanwhile, earlier today Sheffield City Region mayor Dan Jarvis released a statement on COVID-19, urging South Yorkshire residents to follow Public Health England, such as minimising social contact and travel, in order to limit the spread of the disease.