These can be difficult times. The world feels like it’s shrinking smaller and smaller with all the bars, pubs, universities, libraries, and shops shutting. Going into self-isolation can be daunting, and the idea of spending 14 days with just your own thoughts, possibly within the confines of your childhood bedroom, is challenging. However, as in anything, you can find silver linings. 

Catch up on hobbies. 

When you have nothing to do but sit at home all day, take up a hobby that you may have neglected. Dust off that jigsaw puzzle that your Gran gave you that you never started. Finish that scarf you promised you would make for your mum three years ago. Learn how to boil the perfect egg. Nothing is too small to learn, and it means that when you emerge from your coronavirus cocoon, you’ll have a brand-new thing to show off to people. 

Enjoy the fact that you can do nothing! 

This is possibly the one period of time where doing nothing is the best thing you can do for people. Relax! Take a load off, and don’t put any pressure on yourself. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that this time has to be wildly productive; it doesn’t. Sit back, put on a face mask, and bask in the knowledge that by simply sitting indoors, you’re helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Well done you! 

Catch up on all those lectures that you’ve missed. 

This one’s quite simple. No one will ever know about that time at the beginning of the semester that you didn’t show up because a friend’s birthday celebration went a bit too far. 

Enjoy spending time with your family. 

Although this may seem sappy, for those of you who have chosen to spend this time at home with family, try to enjoy living back in your parents’ house. Enjoy not having to pay for food and utilities and cosy up watching television with family, or go out on your daily walk somewhere close to home with your relatives, Although this obviously won’t be possible for everyone, make an effort to spend time with your family. If this virus exposes anything, it’s that we should hold our loved ones close. 

TV!

Rewatch that TV show you love. Everyone has a TV show that always cheers them up no matter what, whether that be Friends, Gilmore Girls, or in my housemates’ case, The League of Gentlemen. Take a day to bury yourself in a world of blankets and duvets and watch it from start to finish. Sure, it may not be the healthiest thing to do, but hey, remember point number 2? You’re saving people by doing very little. 

Rearrange your childhood bedroom. 

Do it! Give in to your impulses and move your bed from where it’s been for the past 18 years. String those fairy lights around the bed frame and put up those polaroid pictures you took in Freshers week. Then, stand back and admire your work. Nick Knowles would be proud. 

Skype parties

Take time to skype a friend that you might not be able to see and download Netflix party so that you can watch something together. Make an effort to create social activities, even if you can’t be together in person. Organise a virtual cocktail hour, hold dance parties and quiz nights over Facetime or Skype. Don’t let the Coronavirus stop you from living your best life.

If you’re the kind of person who wants to get their life together, now is the time. Have a full makeover, Marie Kondo your wardrobe, rearrange your room to balance the feng shui, exfoliate your entire body, or develop a highly complex skincare routine. The choice is yours; any small change can make a huge difference.