Review: The Invisible Dot Tour 2012: Comedy’s New Wave

The acclaimed comedy production company The Invisible Dot has been touring the country with their new wave of up-and-coming comedians. This week they packed up their bags and headed to Sheffield’s intimate Library Theatre…

Nick Mohammed – 7/10

Kicking off the event, character comic Nick Mohammed wowed the crowd with his slick adoption of various characters. From weather presenter to wedding photographer, Mohammed proved he could do it all. His gestures, actions and intonation were without fault. Unfortunately the transitions from character to character were a little lengthy, as Mohammed felt the need provide each character with an introduction that seemed to waste precious stage time. However Mohammed continued to amaze the audience, especially when he convincingly transformed into a posh college student.

Toby – 6/10

It was refreshing to see these two young sisters take to the stage and enter a style of comedy that is traditionally dominated by men. Their sketches were cheeky and fun. However, their fake sibling rivalry was over-emphasized and prevented each sketch from reaching a definitive ending, which was a shame as there was a great deal of potential here. French and Saunders remain the only established name in the realm of female sketch comedy double acts, but in a few years time, one might see Toby enter our living rooms.

Adam Riches – 10/10

Frightfully and fantastically funny, Adam Riches not only had the audience in the palm of his hand, but also on the edge of their seats, sweating with anticipation. The character comic pumped the audience full of adrenaline by pulling many of them up onto the stage. It was an entirely unique performance. Even the costume changes were dramatic, with Riches completing an onstage assault course. For Riches, comedy certainly isn’t about vanity; he committed fully to every character and was willing to do absolutely anything on stage to tickle the audience. His performance was hilarious, energetic, and grotesque. Riches was like a comedic chameleon, easily transforming from one character to another. He is truly the deserved winner of the 2011 Edinburgh Comedy Award.

Now only one tour date remains, where all of the acts will be joining together. The tour will be heading home to London on the 14th May at the Bloomsbury Theatre. So escape from the stress of exams and head down South for this spectacular event.

7/10