Do more, Prime Minister: Thatcher would be ashamed

David Cameron. Photo: Department of Business and Skills/Flickr

At least he finally admitted it. On a great many issues, such as human rights, immigration, gay marriage, amongst many others, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives disagree. David Cameron, speaking before the Queen’s Speech in parliament last week stated that he “wished he could do more” and is clearly determined to at some point, lead a Conservative only government. An article in the Daily Mail by Melissa Kite asked if Thatcher or Churchill would ever have said “I wish I could do more”. She is right; this kind of weary defeatist attitude is frankly not what great leaders are made of.

Here’s the thing, Dave. You’re Prime Minister. So do more. Do everything. Yes, the coalition with a party that is essentially the opposite of yours means that you are constrained. But still.
David Cameron faces a backlash from his own party if he bends any more to the Lib Dems, and potentially backlash from the voters as well. The general public like to know what they’re getting with a political party, and traditionally, with Labour and the Lib Dems situated in the main, to the centre left and the Conservatives to the centre right. Unfortunately however, the Conservatives appear to have waded into the middle a little bit too much.

A constantly right leaning, or constantly left leaning government would never work. For a start it would upset a large portion of society, and there is certainly the argument that one particular party can be in power for too long. The beauty of democracy is that we have change; we have the power to turf them out when they inevitably no longer fill the requirements of their role. Politicians know this, and therefore for however long they are in government, they should be fighting tooth and nail to get what they believe in to the forefront of national policy and discussion. Not everyone will like it, but some will, and regardless of political views, what this country needs is a leader who can be determined, one who refuses to back down, and one who at the end of their premiership will not have to say ‘I wish I could have done more.’ It is time for Cameron to be a dogmatic pain in the rear end of his opponents. He has a limited time to make a difference, and it is an opportunity he will never get again. When he talks about the things he believes in, he makes sense. He makes more sense than Nick Clegg, the man unable to keep any sort of promises and who is mostly hidden under the thumb of his wife, the unstoppable Miriam. He certainly makes more sense than Ed Milliband, who has the tendency to look like he doesn’t quite know how he managed to beat his brother, and now he has, is painfully out of his depth.

David Cameron does have it in him to be a good leader, of the Conservative party and of this country, but to do so it is imperative that he comes out fighting. We all know that if you were to cut him down the middle, you would find Tory running through the very heart of him, and it is essential, that for the Conservative party to make any real changes that do real good, that what the voters see is what they get. In order to retain the support of his own party and of the voters, decisive action, which the prime minister believes in fully, is what will guide this country in the right direction. Yes, the Tories are in bed with the Lib Dems, which makes things difficult, but this was the more favourable option in comparison with a coalition involving Gordon Brown’s Labour. Instead of appearing to bow to the Lib Dems, David Cameron needs to remind voters and the Conservative Party exactly what he stands for, and exactly what he is willing to do in order to fix what he calls “the mess left by the last government”.