Bob Dylan will be the Nobel Laureate for Literature, it was announced yesterday.

The singer-songwriter has been awarded the prize “for having created new poetic expression within the great American song writing tradition” the Nobel committee said in a statement.

He is the only songwriter to have been awarded the prize in its history, with writers Ernest Hemingway, William Golding and Gabriel García Marquez among others having received it in the past.

Dylan will join other Nobel Laureates on 10th December in Stockholm to receive the prize from the King of Sweden at the Swedish Academy’s annual ceremony.

In a career spanning over five decades, he wrote some of the best-known songs of American post-war music.

Blowin’ in the Wind, A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall, The Times They Are a-Changin’ and others sound tracked the civil rights and anti-war movements of the early sixties. Dylan was hailed at the time as “the voice of his generation”.

He would go on to revolutionise rock music with the albums Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, released in 1965 and 1966 respectively.

His career has continued right up to the present day. His latest work, Fallen Angels, a collection of covers from the American songbook, was released in May this year.