In celebration of our 100th issue, we take a look back at some of Screen’s most memorable articles in Forge Entertainments, formerly Fuse (see left). Below, Hannah Dodd looks at some of her screen highlights of the past eight years.

Twilight (2008)

Sure bad mouth a fandom after the world has moved on from it, but Twilight was the original moody teen film series. Team Edward vs Team Jacob was a blood sport and every fan had an accessory tagging them to their gang. When you compare it to the train wreck that is 2016, this was arguably a simpler time. The movie franchise completely re-invented the gothic genre by dragging it into the 21st century and its spirit permeated through every teenage girl’s living room. Shows like True Blood and The Vampire Diaries all piggy-backed off the success of Twilight and it’s fair to say vampires are still coming out of the shadows and onto our screens today. Though the film adaptations of Stephanie Meyer’s literary saga garnered a surprisingly high level of success, it’s fair to say R-Patz and K-Stewart sold eternal love pretty well. With shirtless werewolves, Stewart’s constant twitching and hilarious hair styles, the film is now a sort of guilty pleasure, all be it one that defined a lot of teenage years. You may scoff at this, but at least we favoured gawking at sparkling vampires to attempting the traumatic tasks of talking to real boys.

Avatar (2009)

If there’s one film that made you want to leave this planet and start over, other than the second instalment of the Inbetweeners film series, it was Avatar. The movie was unlike anything we’d seen before. Not only did it smash box office records, it also pushed the boundaries of what technology could do for cinema. Pandora was possibly the greatest fictional place cinema had ever visited, and in 3D it was pretty easy to get lost in the story of the Naa’vi. It’s easy to see why you might scoff seven years on from its release: countless parodies, Halloween costumes, VMA skits, to name but a few cheesy takes on the sci-fi spectacular. Popular culture has tried to tear the movie to shreds but if you can’t enjoy two blue aliens having sex with their tails in front of a Wi-Fi tree there’s just no pleasing you. An absolute solid-good classic.

Sherlock (2010)

Sherlock smashed the old rule that big actors don’t belong on the small screen as it took an incredibly witty and well-loved British duo and totally reinvented them. It also gave some much needed rejuvenation to the detective series format and since then we’ve seen a spate of super successful detective shows coming out of BBC and ITV. It was one of the most watched and talked about BBC series of all time and it started a league of cumberbitches. Sherlock was so popular that it spawned fan fictions, memes and angry tweets to Stephen Moffat. It also started a dialogue about screen writing and saw many an American series recruiting British writers *cough cough Westworld*. The success of Sherlock paved the way for the shows you obsess over now like The Night Manager. So, whether you saw Sherlock back in 2010 or stole your ex’s DVD like the savage you are it was a serious game changer for British television.

Game of Thrones (2011)

When Game of Thrones first hit our screens back in 2011 it was affectionately referred to by most critics as ‘sex and dragons’, but when something works it just works. As the first series progressed, we quickly learnt not to get too attached to anyone and not even Sheffield’s finest, Sean Bean, was safe. As G.O.T fandom swept the nation, sadly so did the spoilers and speculation and the show became a huge online talking point. Subreddits and fan theories began cropping up all over the place and with catchphrases aplenty it’s fair to say memes were coming. With its gratuitous reputation and violent disposition, illustrated in overtly shocking scenes like the Red Wedding, G.O.T could make even the toughest Khaleesi choke on her horse’s heart.

The Avengers (2012)

As Marvel’s most talked about and ambitious project The Avengers changed everything. Suddenly one superhero arc was not enough and it all became about the collaborations and team ups. Bigger casts, bigger budgets and more action than doing squats with Sylvester Stallone spotting you now became the main idea driving Marvel movies. With the success of Iron Man, Captain America and Thor it was thought that a movie adaptation of the Avengers comics would prove too much of a mammoth task. When taken over by Disney, many Marvel fans despaired, but who would have thought that a huge multimillion dollar company would be able nail the essence of the comics exactly? You’d never have guessed it. Whether it was the perfect villain in Tom Hiddleston’s Loki, the bad ass that is Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow or just how adorably feeble Hawkeye is, spectators still can’t get enough and the superhero movies just keep coming. Sadly, the movies getting bigger has resulted in an enormous bout of pressure for Marvel’s superhero movies to measure up to, with some reboots becoming total flops. But still, it can’t be denied that the uprising of Marvel movies changed screen forever.

The 2013 VMAs

When you think of Miley Cyrus now, what do you think of? I like to think of the inventor of a foam finger crying deeply that his invention was used for evil. The 2013 VMA’s was probably the most talked about award show until Leo got his Oscar. It pretty much catapulted Miley Cyrus from Hannah Montana to a hot mess of a twerking adult. The reason this VMAs changed everything was because it caused absolute outrage, providing millennials with their greatest Martyr. It also proved itself as one of the biggest screen moments to come out of music since Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ video. The display certainly proved one thing: Disney starlets shedding their good girl image is definitely a talking point. We hadn’t seen a Disney star try that hard to shed her image since Christina Aguilera’s ‘Dirty’ video was released. Whilst Cyrus seems to be keeping her tongue in her mouth nowadays, my faith in family television died a little that night.

Hannah Dodd