Remember that adorable Christmas movie that features Bilbo Baggins directing a school nativity? Of course you do – you’ve already watched it three times since the clocks went back.

Christmas comes early to the Lyceum as the new musical adaptation of everyone’s festive favourite Nativity! takes to the stage. With a cast of almost 30 children, the show features all the songs that you’ve sung your heart out to multiple times, including “Sparkle and Shine”, “She’s the Brightest Star” and “Nazareth”.

Nativity! follows the antics of under-achieving school St Bernadette’s, where Mr Maddens has been tasked with directing the nativity. After an unsuccessful acting career and heartbreak from a girlfriend who left him moments before a Christmas proposal, Paul Maddens is not at all enthusiastic about the project. To make matters worse, the school headteacher has recruited him a new teaching assistant, Mr Poppy, who turns out to be just as much of a child as the rest of his primary class.

When confusion leads to rumour spreading that Hollywood are coming to St Bernadette’s and rivalry heats up between them and local private school Oakmoor, Mr Maddens is determined to make this nativity one to remember.

Nativity! The Musical stars Daniel Boys (Avenue Q) as Paul Maddens, Sarah Earnshaw (Wicked, Spamalot) as Jennifer Lore and Simon Lipkin (Guys and Dolls, Rock of Ages) as Mr Poppy.

Performances for the show run from 22 to 26 November 2017. Visit the Sheffield Theatres’ website to purchase tickets.

Photo credit: Richard Davenport