The University of Sheffield Brass Band will again take to the stage to celebrate Christmas on Saturday 9 December.

Their concert, entitled ‘Comrades at Christmas’, will be a twist on a traditional brass band concert with Russian influences and will be held at St Andrews URC, S3 7RQ, starting at 7.30pm. Tickets are £5.

Musical Director, Lee Dunkley, has put together a programme of Christmas classics, classical arrangements, and music from the big screen.

The band after their Unibrass performance

Some members of the band will perform solos. Izzy Faulkner, who plays solo cornet in the band, but also holds the prestigious position of principal cornet at Dinnington Colliery Band, will play a rendition of ‘Rusalka Song to the Moon’, arranged by Gordon Langford. 

Vos Baker, a new member of the band this year, usually plays b-flat cornet, but volunteered to take on the e-flat soprano cornet, which is famously difficult to play. She will perform ‘Demelza’, by Hugh Nash – expect awesomely high notes, a brisk tempo and singing melodies.

Of course, it wouldn’t be a Christmas concert without carols, and there will be plenty of opportunity for the audience to sing along. The band will play ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’, ‘O Holy Night’, ‘Hark the Herald’ and ‘Silent Night’ among other traditional carols. It’s a great opportunity to get into the festive spirit.

This year the band has gained promotion within the Unibrass championships. They were awarded second place in the Shield Section earlier in the year, which meant an immediate boost to the Trophy Section for 2018. Band President, Tim Dunn, said: “Both the band and Musical Director relish this challenge to perform alongside the top university bands from across the country whilst representing Sheffield.

“Our concert this weekend will take the form of a Russian spin on a traditional brass band carol concert. It promises to be a great evening of music as we showcase the band in all its glory, following a busy semester.”

USBB at Whit Friday

The band are also celebrating success from their summer appearances at the Whit Friday marching contests, where with their performance of ‘Under the Sea’ from The Little Mermaid, they won ‘most entertaining band’ at Greenfield village.

The concert is held at St Andrews United Reform Church, S3 7RQ, and tickets are five pounds, on the door. There will also be a raffle with great prizes, such as a £30 pub spend, local beer, a meal for four, and much more. Tickets are £1 each and available on the door.