ROLL FOR INITIATIVE: A BEGINNER’S GUIDE ON HOW TO BEGIN

Your beloved Games editor Tom Buckland (that’s me!) has decided to assist, aid, and enlighten the readers of Forge Press into the world of Tabletop Gaming. This first edition solely focuses on how to begin playing; after all, the first hurdle to fighting dragons and rolling dice is finding a group to do that with. Here are a few tips to tackle this:

1.       Go to your local gaming store

One of the best ways to learn D&D is to experience a session first hand with people who know the rules. Luckily, there are plenty of board game stores and gaming outlets that offer Dungeons & Dragons sessions in Sheffield. Forge recommends the Treehouse Board Gaming Café, who host their own D&D campaign, Solken. It allows people to participate in a shared world and is geared towards D&D newcomers and veterans alike, so it’s an excellent place for people that have no idea what they’re doing to learn from people that have played for quite a while.

1.       Societies

Luckily for our students, there is a society that provides you an easy way to get into tabletop gaming in NoDDsoc. Not Only Dungeons and Dragons Society do exactly what their name suggests: D&D and more!

Social Sec Rob O’brien told us: “As a society, we’re always open to new members. roleplayers love getting people involved in their favourite hobby! One of the best ways to get involved with NoDDSoc is around the start of the academic year, when we run a number of taster sessions, each a short, one-shot roleplaying game, all of which are free to attend. You don’t even have to have any equipment to get started; we always have dice available to borrow, and our Library contains many of the popular RPG rulebooks which any of our members can borrow to try.

1.       Online

This may be one of the easiest methods for some people. The anxiety that can be generated through social situations is something that many can relate to. Website Roll20 has a system that allows people to create and involve themselves in online D&D campaigns. People post their ideas for campaigns and advertise for new members, with many of them advocating newcomers. Some of these campaigns introduce programs like Skype, but others are primarily via text. In this way, there’s a campaign out there for all types of people.  

1.       Friends

Personally, I’ve only ever played  Dungeons and Dragons or Tabletop Gaming with people who were my friends, and the way I managed this was simply to ask! Some of your friends may be more interested than you realise; anyone that enjoys theatre, gaming, or are creatively-inclined are all people who may secretly adore Dungeons and Dragons. They just need you to open their eyes – so go for it!