The 25th edition of Sheffield Doc/Fest is currently taking place (7 to 12 June). Screen Editors Gethin Morgan and Izzy Cridland are covering the entire festival, bringing you Doc/Fest diaries every evening.

Day 2:

Another largely solo day for me (Gethin) today as Izzy was too busy taking an exam to make Doc/Fest. Apparently getting a degree is more important.

I, meanwhile, very professionally missed the morning screenings thanks to my late night at Leadmill last night. I managed to Uber it down in time for 12pm, like the warrior I am, to see the international premier of When Lambs Become Lions at the Showroom. Following the life of Kenyan ivory poacher ‘X’ and his ranger (poacher-hunter) cousin Asan, it’s a remarkable film and the best I’ve seen so far at Doc/Fest. Director Jon Kasbe is clearly a prestigious talent and was excellent value in a Q&A session after the film. He also quite deservedly rewarded himself with a snack at the Showroom Cafe afterwards.

After some writing and short film-watching in the cafe, I then watched A Thousand Girls Like Me. This was a pretty damn devastating story about a young woman in Afghanistan raised with violence and sexual assault. The lengths she has to go to get justice and clear her own name is shameful. It shows again on Sunday at 6.30pm in the Showroom.

At 7pm I was then treated to the Grand Jury Award nominee Of Fathers and Sons. Another intense one as Syrian director Talal Derki goes undercover with a minesweeper raising his sons as Jihadi fighters. It also screens on Sunday at the Showroom, this time at 9.15pm.

Izzy will be getting involved tonight as she plans to see The Gospel of Eureka, a documentary looking at a community in Arkansas known for its gospel drag shows.

Finally I shall be seeing off my Friday night with Bruce Lee & The Outlaw. Nope, not that Bruce Lee. This one is known as ‘King of the Underworld’ in Bucharest. A young boy goes to live with him underground in this Oliver Twist-like tale. Exciting stuff.

Back again tomorrow. I’ll be in at 9am this time I promise.