It’s like Nintendo wants me to never have money. Ever.

Counting down to the Nintendo E3 presentation is my favourite part of the yearly games show, and this year, Nintendo well and truly smashed it (unintentional, but relevant).

There’s an incredible amount to talk about from this Nintendo Direct: beginning with a new IP, Daemon x Machina, a game which features mechs/robots. This was an interesting one to start with, as it piqued curiosity without giving away the bigger new titles prematurely. We learned that Xenoblade Chronicles 2, released last year, will be receiving some plot-centric DLC – a nice addition for fans. Nintendo also brought their audience some new details about the recently announced games for the Pokemon series, “Pokemon: Let’s Go!”, featuring Pikachu or Eevee depending on which version you decide to buy. The games will allow players to explore familiar regions with their chosen Pokemon in tow, and are compatible with a new Pokeball accessory which players can use for an even more authentic Pokemon-catching experience.

Nintendo also struck nostalgia with a new iteration of a fan favourite: Mario Party. With there being many complaints about bizarre gimmicks and formats over the last few versions (looking at you, 9), this new version for the Nintendo Switch seems to be focusing on the core mini-game gameplay, which has been greeted with excitement.

Personally, there was one game announcement which stole the show, and that was the reveal of Fire Emblem: Three Houses for the Switch. I’ve been a fan of Fire Emblem since 2013, and to see the announcement of a return to console for one of my favourite series was breathtaking. Whilst the trailer didn’t reveal much plot-wise, we were introduced to the three protagonists, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude. With stunning graphics, gorgeous music and what is hinted to be another intricate plot, I can’t wait for Spring 2019.

The already impressive Indie game library on Switch also got a hefty amount of additions announced, with games like Overcooked and Hollow Knight mentioned. Current sensation Fortnite also got a same-day Switch release.

Nintendo proved once again that its fans are at the heart of its games when we were told more about the already announced Smash Bros. for Switch. Named as “Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate”, director Masahiro Sakurai revealed that every single character which has ever been playable in a Smash Bros. game since its first release for the Nintendo 64, will be playable in the new game. Yes, that’s right. Every. Single. One. Needless to say, the internet exploded. Not only have old fan-favourite stages had a revamp and characters been polished but the fanbase was well and truly rocked by one of the best reveals in Smash history. Ridley. The inclusion of the main villain of the Metroid series has long since been a request of many fans but Sakurai had previously said that the inclusion of such a massive character would not be feasible. Proving once again that he’s a force to be reckoned with, Sakurai somehow managed it, and now deserves peace and quiet from the internet for the rest of his career.  

Overall, it’s apparent that Nintendo’s focus is very much on the Switch. There were no new releases announced for just handheld, which seems to signal an expiration date for the 3DS. For current Switch owners, there’s more than enough to be excited about in the coming year. And for me? I’m going to have to get saving.

Image: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate / Nintendo