Despite the weather trying its very best to put a dampener on Tramlines’ 10th anniversary, the good people of Sheffield still turned out in their thousands, ponchos in hand, to watch the first day of live music at Hillsborough Park.

Gates opened at three o’clock today, slightly later than the twelve o’clock gates for the rest of the festival and T’Other stage was rested until tomorrow.

Everything Everything kicked off proceedings for the Forge Press team, bringing their unique brand of indie pop to Hillsborough. They might have expected a bigger crowd having recently released their fourth studio album, but the driving rain seemed to have forced most to find shelter and a pint to wait it out.

The Magic Gang played ‘The Leadmill Live’ stage and, fresh from playing Benicassim Festival in Spain the previous day, the sodden crowd must have been a change of scenery. However, they didn’t let the bad weather dampen their spirits, singing along to every tune and starting  mosh pits to tunes that shouldn’t be moshed to. Despite some sound problems causing them to pause their set, frontman Jack took it in his stride. “Thank you Sheffield, this has been our favourite festival of the summer so far” he concluded.

Sheffield natives Milburn sub headlined the main stage, walking on to a Sheffield Wednesday song which was sure to split the audience  in two. They didn’t seem to mind the awful weather for their local lads and came out in force to see the recently reformed band. ‘Send in the Boys’ sent the crowd into a frenzy with limbs sent thrashing and flares going off everywhere.

Old favourite Stereophonics headlined the festival. The Welsh band, formed over 25 years ago, brought their singalong hits to the stage. Opening with ‘C’est La Vie’, they had the crowd going from the first note. Wheeling out their back catalogue of classic tunes such as ‘Have a Nice Day’ and ‘Dakota’, as well as a cover of ‘Handbags and Gladrags’, the band provided the crowd with the touch of noughties nostalgia they seemed to crave.