Did Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation need to be made? No. But regardless it is both cute and funny, a great watch for the family.

If you are familiar with the Hotel Transylvania series, you will know that Dracula (Adam Sandler) has a daughter named Mavis (Selena Gomez). In Hotel Transylvania 3, Mavis notices that Dracula seems tense, stressed out and maybe even a little down. So, Mavis thinks the perfect solution is a holiday. She plans it on a monster cruise and the entire monster gang goes along. Dracula meets Captain Ericka Van Helsing (Kathryn Hahn) and for him it is love at first sight.

Dracula is feeling a little lonely. His wife died when Mavis was born and so he has been alone for a very long time and is just starting to feel the pangs of that, so he wants to start dating again. Or at least to tentatively put his foot into that water. But now he is also terrified of telling this to his daughter, for fear of what she might think.

Now Sandler plays the role of Dracula brilliantly. This is his third time in the series and he is completely believable as a voice actor. However, there are some scenes where he goes into that Adam Sandler-esque baby talk and for the audience it is tiresome. It is stupid and to some extent irritating. But it might have quite the opposite effect on the kids who might find it extremely funny. The humour in the movie is largely geared towards children and not towards an adult audience.

The voice actors all do a great job. Visually it’s fun to watch, especially with some of the side gags, with the animation lending itself to some things they couldn’t do with live action filmmaking. One of the best comic scenes in the movie is when the monster group is travelling to the cruise ship and Gremlin’s (Aaron LaPlante) presence turns it into an onslaught of ridiculousness on the flight. Everything that could go wrong does and it is a blast to watch.

The antagonist is Professor Abraham Van Helsing (Jim Gaffigan), a classic foe to Dracula and at one point in the movie, he resembles Dr. Frankenstein from Nightmare Before Christmas, a very enjoyable little reference.

The movie is a fun watch for the family. While the humour is targeted more at kids, everybody is going to find something that they can really enjoy. The voice acting is good, the storyline is decent and the 90s pop soundtrack is just awesome. Overall it’s just a great animated flick.

Image Credit: Movie DB.