Ant-Man and the Wasp offers a welcome change of pace from the chaos and immense scale of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The studio’s first instalment since Thanos rocked up in April’s Infinity War delivers a welcome break from galaxy guardians, off-world gods and the imminent end of the universe.

Instead, Peyton Reed’s follow up to 2015’s Ant-Man plays out on a much smaller scale. Picking up Scott Lang’s (Paul Rudd) story following the events of Captain America: Civil War, his involvement in the Avengers’ German skirmish has resulted in two years of house arrest, with former associates Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and Hope van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly), on the run from the FBI.

Pym and van Dyne have been working on a tunnel to reach the quantum realm in an attempt to rescue Hank’s wife and Hope’s mother, Janet van Dyne. The location and concept of the realm forms the central plot of the movie as control for the lab and Hank’s work is also coveted by black market dealer Sonny Burch (Walton Goggins)and the mysterious Ghost(Hannah John-Kamen).. Having multiple antagonists unfortunately leaves their respective screen time limited, but the scenes in which they crossover are entertaining and help showcase their different purposes and personalities within the story.

The relationship between the two title characters helps balance comedy with the more serious and scientific aspects revolving around the quantum realm. Paul Rudd once again is excellent in his comedic timing and his personality constantly has the audience grinning. Evangeline Lilly is deservedly given much more to do this time round, particularly on the action front. She is fantastic throughout and completely owns the movie.

Like the first Ant-Man there are outstanding action sequences. The concept of characters and items shrinking and growing makes for intriguing and clever scenes.  One of the most fun scenes is a car chase where vehicles shrink and grow to shake off pursuers and generally cause chaos. Humour also comes from Lang’s suit malfunctioning for much of the film, with a standout moment being a 60ft Paul Rudd swimming in front of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Ant-Man and The Wasp is a great all-round movie. It balances action, humour and a heartfelt emotional storyline, revolving predominantly around family and the relationships between them. After the heavy, character packed rollercoaster of Infinity War, it’s a relaxed, entertaining sequel that ties into the larger MCU – be sure to stick around for the mid-credit scene –  while helping to remind us what made Marvel movies so good in the first place.

Image Credit: Movie DB