Better Call Saul is a prequel to one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows of all time, Breaking Bad. The show depicts the descent of Jimmy McGill (birth name) into Saul Goodman (his criminal lawyer pseudonym).

Season four of the Breaking Bad prequel has been eagerly anticipated by fans for a very long, sad 14 months. Finally, at the beginning of August, Netflix graced us with the first episode. The series begins with the settling of season three’s “cliffhanger” – is Chuck okay?

Of course, Chuck wasn’t okay. He purposely knocked over a lantern, causing the room (and, consequently, the whole house) to erupt into flames, and he made no attempt to escape. It was clear that plenty of fans were glad to see the end of Chuck, for the way he had treated Jimmy and his girlfriend, Kim, throughout his entire presence in the first three seasons.

Something that shone through in this season, much like every season of Better Call Saul, was the immense acting talent on display. The complete lack of remorse for his brother’s death need not be stated in Jimmy’s dialogue; Odenkirk’s pristine portrayal of this character is enough. The scene in which Jimmy sloppily eats cereal, while also reading out the letter that Chuck wrote for him before his death, was a real standout scene.

Rhea Seehorn as Kim has never failed to be wonderful, but she truly proves herself this season and completely owns every scene she is in. You can really see her concern for Jimmy, as if she is witnessing the birth of Saul Goodman even before the viewers.

Aside from the main plot with Jimmy and Kim, season four also saw another key plotline develop – the building of the laundry Super Lab, led by Mike and Gus. This really showed us how close we are to entering the Breaking Bad timeline, which is very exciting.

While this season has been highly rated and each episode was beautifully written and directed, it still seems to leave the viewer with the feeling that something is missing. However, upon finishing the tenth and final episode, everything appears to make sense. For a start, Jimmy had not been a lawyer all season, like he had for the previous three, so something was bound to feel different. There’s also the dramatic increase in pace; seasons 1 to 3 spanned over a year combined, whereas season 4 itself is a whole year.

The final episode was eagerly anticipated, since the Better Call Saul (and Breaking Bad) team have always produced spectacular season finales and, fortunately, this season was no different. At the end of the final episode, we really see the moment that Jimmy becomes Saul. “S’all good, man”, he exclaims to Kim, and a final fade to black leaves us hanging for another year.