Writer and director Joe Cornish, who made his directorial debut back in 2011 with Attack the Block, returns to present a world that is so imaginative, audiences will love to get enrolled in.

The movie is a new twist on an old story. We all know the tale of King Arthur, where he pulls the sword out from the stone, proving he was the rightful king, takes his enemies and turns them into his allies and defeats evil.

This version is about a young boy named Alex (Louis Ashbourne Serkis, son of Andy) who, after pulling out an Excalibur from the stone, realizes that he is the rightful heir to the throne of King Arthur. In doing so, an evil sorceress, Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson), rises to power once again to take the sword and the throne for herself, leading to chaos across the world.

All the kids play their roles brilliantly. They have great banter, good comedic timings and are able to carry emotions really well. But the character that catches our attention is Merlin, who is played in two stages. One is a 16 year old boy (Angus Imrie), who is trying to find his place in the modern day world but is totally out of his element. What we love about this character is when he does his spells, instead of being verbal they are all hand movements. So it ends up looking like a combination of one of The Three Stooges giving baseball signals, combined with conjuring up some Doctor Strange shield. And the more he does it, the more rib-tickling it gets. Patrick Stewart, meanwhile, plays the older Merlin.

Sadly, most of the movie’s humour falls flat. Especially the main character’s best friend Bedders (Dean Chaumoo), who is mostly just annoying.

Cornish’s second feature is very similar to Attack the Block but is geared a little more towards kids and families, although any age group can have fun watching it. The movie isn’t an exceptional masterpiece but it is still a fun watch.

Image credit: Movie DB