Disclaimer: Due to the nature of the play, no spoilers will be revealed within this review.

Such is the tradition with Agatha Christie’s murder mystery, The Mousetrap, that the ending should never be revealed. Considering the play’s long history, this aspect only heightens its continual allure and intrigue. Despite my potential incarceration, Christie’s classic “whodunit” play, with its twists and turns and my ever-burning desire to challenge every character’s motives, was tantalisingly recreated at the Lyceum with a fantastic production and bill of actors.

Heading out on a new national tour, an extension of the West End’s longest running play was brilliantly realised on the Sheffield stage. High praise goes to the set design and production team, the constant to and throw through the stage’s many doors only advanced the mystery and thrill of the event. This current tour features Gwyneth Strong as the stern and unforgiving Mrs Boyle, who tritely and tersely delivers a quip that the lower classes have “no idea of their responsibilities”, eliciting a rather deep chuckle from the predominantly silvering audience. Also, amongst the very strong cast were outstanding performances by Nick Biadon and Harriet Hare as Mr and Mrs Ralstone. Good chemistry between the two helped maintain the distinct period feel to the production through their use of what can only be described as “proper English”. Stealing the show and much of the laughter were the two eccentrics, Lewis Chandler as Christopher Wren and David Alcock as Mr Paravacini. These two were accomplished in providing a certain eeriness, as well as a bit of humour, to the thrill of the play. All in all, I thought the current tour’s production of The Mousetrap to be a very good show indeed.

Image: All Sheffield Theatres