Whenever a sequel to a successful movie is announced it is often met with a collective eye roll from the more cynical among us, who only see a money-grabbing production. It is apparent that the number of disappointing sequels that exist absolutely outnumber the few good ones; but the creativity shown in the original Lego movie definitely held promise for its successor.  

The story starts where the first movie ends: THE INVASION OF THE LITTLE GIRL LEGO THINGS. The once bright and constantly renewing world of Lego becomes dystopian and nothing is the same, except Emmet’s (Chris Pratt) unwaveringly positive attitude – complete with a remix of our favourite tune. However, when his friends are kidnapped by these invaders, Emmet must once again be the hero that no one asked him to be.

Although it seems to reuse already well-established storylines, the writers do attempt to introduce the audience to new worlds and characters through the eyes of the human protagonists. However, by the end of the movie these characters feel a bit throwaway and ultimately seem only to be there to provide new antagonists for our Lego leads.

As a stand-alone movie, it would have done pretty well for itself – the animation was, of course, exceptional. But a lot of the jokes and plotlines feel recycled and forced when compared to the first film; a big issue is that from the start the audience knows where the resolve will be in terms of the human storyline, something that made its predecessor stand out. Whilst the first movie had moments that appealed to adults and children alike, this one seemed to be purely focused on the kids, which was obvious throughout. Likewise, the completely unnecessary addition of random musical numbers did nothing but highlight how desperate the creators were to generate another movie music phenomenon. Even though the plot twists are genuinely unexpected, their explanations don’t really make sense and are just a loose way of progressing the story.

Despite the plot’s flaws and apparent averageness, the combination of animation and voice acting ensures that the franchise loses none of its charm and it is hard not to find yourself with a huge grin on your face by the end of the movie. The credits sequence is a work of genius and,probably, one of the most original parts of the movie.

It’s a good enough movie, but it doesn’t really hold up to the original. In fact, the main takeaway from this particular sequel appears to be that Lego Batman definitely works better as part of an ensemble cast.

Image credit: Movie DB