Sheffield Doc/Fest have unveiled big-name filmmaker Paul Greengrass as their first programme announcement for the 2019 festival.

Greengrass is best known for directing the likes of Captain PhillipsGreen Zone, and three films in the Bourne franchise.

On Friday 7 June, the second day of the festival, Greengrass will be in conversation with journalist Danny Leigh at the Crucible Theatre.

Leigh said: “Paul Greengrass is an inspiration – a giant of British film. I’ve always been fascinated by how he has stayed true to research and realism whether working in documentary journalism or the most spectacular blockbuster movies. His belief in people from all social backgrounds being able to play their part in the film and TV industries is yet another reason to admire him. I’m thrilled to be talking to Paul at Doc/Fest, one of the most essential film and TV festivals anywhere.”

Before becoming a Hollywood director, Greengrass spent ten years making TV documentaries for ITV current affairs programme World In Action. He continued making docs before transitioning into feature-film directing, though his documentary roots have stuck with him, often concentrating on re-telling true stories such as Captain Phillips and his most recent film, 22 July, about Anders Behring Breivik’s 2011 terror attack in Norway.

Sheffield Doc/Fest’s Interim Director, Melanie Iredale, said: “It is such an honour to be welcoming the hugely talented Paul Greengrass to Sheffield in June. The focus of his discussion, with Danny, and with our audiences, lies close to the heart of Doc/Fest’s ethos, to celebrate and create opportunities for all filmmaking talent, including those from less privileged backgrounds; a conversation that will continue throughout this year’s festival.”

Early bird tickets for the talk go on sale today until 25 March, with a limited number of £5 tickets for under 25s.

This year’s festival takes place from 6-11 June and will see over 25,000 people from over 50 countries come to Sheffield to celebrate the finest documentary filmmaking in the industry. More information can be found at https://sheffdocfest.com.

Image credit: Dick Thomas Johnson