Last weekend saw Platform Festival take place across the University of Sheffield campus.

The annually-returning festival is organised by Platform Performance – an events society that showcases students’ creative talents. This year’s exciting line-up featured a plenitude of events from dance showcases and musicals, to DJ sets and crafting – all of which could be enjoyed through the purchase of a weekend pass for just £11.

The 2019 Festival proved to be another big hit raising approximately £2000 for Cavendish Cancer Care, a Sheffield-based organisation which has been supporting local cancer sufferers.

This year’s festival opened on Friday evening with a recital of fabulous original music, written and performed by third year music student Joanna Grey. This presentation, titled Passerby, was the culmination of Joanna’s dissertation project, following the fascinating theme of identity. Joanna’s songs are eye-opening storytellings of the suffering students can face because of their identity.

Later that evening, members of Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) took to the stage in Showcase – a performance of musical theatre numbers from the West End and Broadway. Standout performances came from Chris Ventom singing ‘Soliloquy’ from Carousel, and Maria MacAninch with ‘Maybe This Time’ from Cabaret.

The fun continued on Saturday afternoon at a free physical theatre workshop, organised by Sheffield University Theatre Company. Temper Theatre delivered an intensive three-hour workshop on improving our ability to focus on bodily movements at the micro and macro level.

The evening treated us to three hours of performance from the talented Music Player’s Society, in the comfort of The Raynor Lounge. MPS provided some fantastic music through their Big Band, Blues Band and Rock Band, and drew a long but exciting Saturday to a close before it was time to do it all again tomorrow!

The final day of the festival kicked off at 11am on Sunday, with a hands-on ‘craft-ernoon’ taking place in ‘The Den’, while over in Foundry we saw actors and techies from SUTCo being put out of their comfort zone in a Love Island themed ‘cast and crew swap-over’!

The theatrical fun continued, starting with Moving On, an evocative play about the difficulties of first love,written and directed by third year Biology student Talia Riche. Following this was Common People, a britpop jukebox musical, co-written by members of the Performing Arts Society, Abbie Scott and Georgia Griffiths.

Having witnessed so many astounding performances over the last three days, Platform invited performers and audiences to come together at their annual PABLO Awards – a delightful evening which celebrated the success of everyone who had showcased their talents for the benefit of this worthy cause. To keep up to date with future events organised by Platform Performance, give them a like at facebook.com/platformperformancesociety

Image: Richard Almond

1 COMMENT

1. Cast vs Crew was also another amazing show that took place on Sunday, developed by 4th-year language student Matthew Prestage. In this show, techies and cast faced off as the cast tried to retell the classic fairytale of Sleeping Beauty whilst the technicians did everything within their power to derail the show. This culminated in a hilarious improvised performance in which the audience finally got to understand the full extent of the power of tech.