Lilian Jones

Your Sheffield experience matters to me. The Students Union has positively impacted my time at Sheffield in so many ways, and I’m determined that all students should feel the same. I’m a tireless campaigner, who’s consistently fought for a better deal for all. I’ll use this background to get the best deal for every student.

If elected I will: –

Empower renters:

• Create a website where students submit landlord reviews, regaining the student voice in an often exploitative relationship.
  • Organise a yearly awards event for the best landlords, based on reviews submitted.

Reform study space:

• Improve the room-booking system, making empty rooms easier to access.
  • Work with local businesses and subject departments to create a comprehensive guide of accessible places to study.
  • Put microwaves in the SU, IC, Medical School, Western Bank, and the Diamond.

Broaden access to education:

• Create drop-in sessions to help sixth formers with personal statements and CVs.
  • Campaign for admission reforms to give greater access to BME, LGBT+ students and those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Improve night-time safety:

• Make the SU cloakroom cheaper and more efficient, so keeping warm isn’t time or money dependent.
  • Create a taxi-sharing scheme, so no-one travels home alone.
  • Lobby Sheffield City Council to improve street lighting in student areas.

Engage with available mental health resources:

• Create subject-specialised packs, for every UG and PG year with clear steps for help with mental health concerns.
  • Ensure all first-year welcome talks explain how to access mental health resources.

#1inaLilian  

SHARE