Sheffield SU Officer Election candidates set to be announced

by Ben Warner | @ben_mcr

The Students’ Union is gearing up for another round of Officer Elections, with candidates for the eight sabbatical roles set to be announced next Monday (2 March).

Figures seen by Forge Press reveal there are currently more than 30 candidates set to stand for the roles, although that could change before they are formally announced following candidate training.

Alongside the elections for the eight Officer positions, students will also be tasked with voting for a new student trustee, as well as someone to take up the Black Woman’s space in the delegation to the NUS Liberation Conference.

The yearly elections give students the chance to vote for a new Officer team, also known as the Student Executive Committee (SEC). The team is made up of an SU President, SU Development Officer, Women’s Officer, Welfare Officer, International Students’ Officer, Activities Officer, Education Officer and Sports Officer.

The Elections will be covered in detail by Forge Media, including two nights of Forge Debates on 3 and 4 March, which will be livestreamed by Forge TV on YouTube, as well as another livestream of the results as they are announced on Thursday 12 March.

Voting will open on Monday 9 March, and this year there is a reduced voting period of just three days, compared to four in previous years. In the last two election cycles, one role had to be announced later than the other seven due to an outstanding complaint, and it is thought a shorter voting period will aim to mitigate this issue.

“Whether it’s decisions made about SU Policy right through to Pop Tarts, Officers have the opportunity to lead that and it’s so important students feel empowered in these elections to push for the changes they want to see,” said Jake Verity, the current SU President.

“I wanted to run because I cared about introducing new, exciting ideas in the Students’ Union. I spoke to a lot of students during this time who were frustrated at the rising costs of transport. Students told me they wanted new and exciting technological innovations like an SU App and also as Tramlines has gone from strength to strength, I said that a cool, new music festival run by the Students’ Union would be a great idea.

“I ran because I wanted to take all of this on board, and drive all these ideas forwards for the benefit of our students for now and years to come.

“The people you elect as your SU Officers have a huge role to play in your life at University and it’s important you vote for the leaders you want to see running your Students’ Union.

“Whether it’s representing you in rooms with the University, Government or internationally, the people you choose to be your Officers can make real, impactful change.”

Voting will open from 9 to 11 March on the Sheffield Students’ Union website.

You can follow Forge Media’s coverage of the SU Officer Elections on forgetoday.com throughout the campaign period.

SHARE