By Niall O’Callaghan | @nocalla_

Day 2 has proved to be an eventful one already, even without the addition of Forge Debates which will be held this evening from 6:30pm. This evening will see debates take place between the Development, Education, Welfare and Presidential candidates, which you can watch live on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84yadZNINqQ&feature=emb_title 

Most of the activity today has taken place between the Presidential candidates with a story about Fleur Delugar appearing in The Tab. According to The Tab the “fancy-dress mad” social sec dressed in a Native American costume as a second year in October 2018. 

The other candidates were quick to stick the boot in with Josh Glicklich saying it showed a “clash between Fleur’s words and her actions” while Dom Fairbrass described it as a “Trudeau moment” saying “it does make you wonder about the other potential costume skeletons in her closet” and hoping the costume was a result of “extreme ignorance”.

Josh has also been endorsed today by Rex Béchu, the 2018/2019 International Students’ Officer, who described the candidate as a “friend”.

Meanwhile, Presidential candidate Beth Eyre avoided getting drawn into the debate, instead announcing her campaign would be leaflet-free and giving out brownies as an alternative.

Development Officer candidate Tara Kimberlee announced she would also be going leaflet-free during this campaign. She said in a Facebook post: “By the end of the campaign season, I guarantee the students of sheffield [sic] will find accommodation floors and recycling bins littered with unwanted and unused flyers, often printed on glossy and non-recyclable paper.

“Flyers and leaflets are, by nature, single use and therefore are against everything I stand for! Team Tara are using a limited number of posters on non-glossy paper, and other recyclable and reusable materials.”

Fellow Development Officer candidate Jordan Weir has received his first endorsement. Politics Society has endorsed the third year, who also ran for the same position last year narrowly losing out to current Development Officer, Harry Carling.

Ciara O’Sullivan and Sophie McGinley who are also running to be Development Officer are promoting similar policies surrounding fast fashion. Both hope to create a new SU outlet where students can buy second hand clothing. McGinley hopes to create a second hand clothing shop in the SU, while O’Sullivan wants to set up a new outlet where students are able to purchase or trade clothes and other goods with the proceeds going to a charity chosen by students. 

In the race to be Sports Officer, Matt Graves looks to have taken an early lead after being endorsed by three sports teams in one day. Sheffield University Cricket Club, Sheffield University Ladies Rugby Club and Sheffield University Netball Club have all endorsed the 3rd year Economics student.

Rival Jordan Frith hopes to close the gap between sports played and funding, with qualified coaches and physiotherapists for teams. He is also hoping to foster a more inclusive environment in sport, making This Girl Can, Disability in Sport and Pride in Sport permanent features of sport at Sheffield. He was the SU’s LGBT+ Council Representative last year.

It has been another bumper day of endorsements for Activities Officer candidate Joel Kirk who was today endorsed by Geography Society and Chemical Engineering Society, taking his total number of endorsements up to four. 

Other candidates in the Activities race, Liam Holister and Simon Alford, want to ensure social sport is more available, and advertise a different society every week to help smaller societies to grow.

This week will be campaigning only with the vote opening next Monday 9 March and closing Wednesday 11 March. The results will be announced at a ceremony in Foundry on Thursday 12 March and Forge Press will be working through the night to bring you the latest coverage in Issue 143 on Friday 13 March.

The second Forge Debates evening will be held tomorrow, Wednesday 4 March, from 6:30pm. Debating will be candidates for International Students’, Womens’, Activities and Sport.

Daily roundups will be a daily occurrence throughout the election periods so if you have heard any stories from the elections, have something to say or have given or received an endorsement, please get in contact with us at: elections@forgetoday.com

You can keep up to date with all the latest news at www.forgetoday.com

SHARE