By Niall O’Callaghan | @nocalla_

After the second and final round of the Forge Debates last night the candidates have looked to push on to collect those final endorsements and votes before the voting opens on Monday. 

Fresh from last night’s Sports debate, labelled as “the best debate I’ve ever seen” in three years of covering the elections by one pundit, Matt Graves took the endorsement of Geography Society this morning while Jordan Frith gave more clarity on his inclusions policy and took the endorsement of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Society. In a Facebook post, Frith said “I want to introduce a group of students who stand as representatives of each of these groups: Women, Students with Disabilities, the LGBT+ community, BME Students, Mature Students, and Postgraduate Students,” rather than having “box-ticking” campaigns such as This Girl Can, Pride In Sport and Disability In Sport, which don’t foster a culture of inclusivity all year round.

The International Students’ Officer candidates also got the chance to debate last night, with candidates Iuri Montenegro and Lu Shan doing lecture ‘shout-outs’ together this afternoon alongside Welfare candidate Holly Ellis. International Students’ Officer is by far the biggest field this year with a total of seven candidates running to succeed Sissi Li. Manifestos include promises like a multilingual hotline from Saya Uotani, career service liaison for employment after graduation from Hania Mousa, free language support from Helen Zhang, a second hand market from Jack Gong and building bridges between international and home students from Jing Li.

In the Activities race, Joel Kirk has received yet more endorsements, this time taking endorsements from the Filmmaking Society, DragSoc and Wargames Society – the first society he joined. Simon Alford last night cleared up his inter-society equipment swapping policy after Kirk challenged him that such a tool already existed. However, Alford said that from experience using the system, known as ‘Shed’, it was hard for societies to list multiple items at a time, something which he has said he will fix.

This week will be campaigning only with the vote opening next Monday 9 March and closing Wednesday 11 March. The results will be announced at a ceremony in Foundry on Thursday 12 March and Forge Press will be working through the night to bring you the latest coverage in Issue 143 on Friday 13 March.

Daily roundups will be a daily occurrence throughout the election periods so if you have heard any stories from the elections, have something to say or have given or received an endorsement, please get in contact with us at: elections@forgetoday.com

You can keep up to date with all the latest news at forgetoday.com/elections

SHARE