Top 5 Final Fantasy Games

With the arrival of Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, Games considers the five greatest editions of the franchise thus far. With so many utterly varied instalments to choose from and arguments being sparked as soon as the word ‘favourite’ combines with ‘Final Fantasy’, this final list collates, if nothing else, the ‘game-changing’ landmarks in the series which have been the most key in its development…

1. VII - probably the best known in the franchise, something about Cloud, his companions and ultimately cool bad guy Sephiroth always leaves gamers wanting more. Hence the two spin-off games and movie

2. VI – featuring a record 14 playable (and, more importantly, memorable) characters, the game also sports a creepy clown villain and some of the best music of the franchise. Well worth a look

3. IV – a groundbreaking game which moved away from the first three’s simplistic characters, dungeon settings and lack-lustre gameplay and not only redefined the entire genre of Japenese RPGs but paved the way for all future FF games

4. VIII – a huge leap in graphics meant for the first time the people of an FF game looked like, well, people, making it all the easier to empathise with loner Squall and his eventual love-interest, the free-spirited Rinoa

5. X – the first to use character voices and a stunning game even by today’s standards, complete with a plot twist near the end which remains one of the best in gaming history