Meadowhall Fashion Show

OK, so it wasn’t London or Paris but Meadowhall did manage to produce an impressive catwalk fashion show on October 8.

Lifestyle was invited to the exclusive fashion show, which was held in a transformed vacant shop space, to witness the lines that will be available in the stores this season.

It looked pretty glamorous: the lighting was dim apart from the many twinkling fairy lights surrounding the catwalk and contemporary transparent seats; there was an acoustic guitarist and singer entertaining the guests until the show started.

As well as there being suited waiters and waitresses offering canapés and free drinks.

When everyone was seated the stylist, Bradley Taylor, introduced the show; he was followed by several break dancers who reappeared throughout the show – ensuring the attention of the audience remained.

As Meadowhall is full of high-street stores, most things worn on the catwalk were affordable for the general public and most importantly, students.

Cheap and cheerful Primark started the show; although there were sequins aplenty it, surprisingly wasn’t as tacky as I expected.

The picture, bottom right, shows a model donning Primark clothes.

As you are likely to be aware (due to the fact they are covering everything in sight this season) sequins are big; the gold skirt looks really effective with a plain black vest and tights or leggings.

Many of the stores at Meadowhall showed their lines for this Autumn/Winter – including Warehouse, Coast, New Look, Next and House of Frasier.

These stores, as well as many more, also showcased sequin inspired garments, including tops, jackets, leggings and trousers.

You definitely don’t need to look far at the moment to find something that follows this trend: the good news is there are so many different items and styles in the shops, covered in sequins, that you can find something that suits you and that you can get wear out of.

There were certain trends that consistently appeared throughout the show; illustrating the key items essential for all fashion followers that are available on the high street at the moment.

Shoulder pads were out in force, top right; as well as blazers and studded leather jackets which are great for easy day and night wear.

Blazers are extremely versatile; they look great with jeans, shorts, a dress or a skirt. As well as looking great they are also a fairly practical item to wear on a chilly Autumn night out; better than braving it without a coat.

The catwalk demonstrated that the studded leather jacket is the epitome of casual wear.

The jacket looks great on the model with hot pants; but equally looks fantastic with jeans for a lecture.

Body-con dresses appear to be the Christmas dress of choice this year. For some of us this fact may fill us with dread.

However, for the lucky ladies that can pull off the body-con dress be daring and go for a bright colour, like the red stand-out dress, top right.

Tulip shaped skirts and dresses were everywhere.

Thankfully, this is a more easy to wear style which accentuates curves and suits most figures.

Skirts can be transformed by wearing different tops, leggings or tights – meaning that you can wear it time and time again and no one will know.

Accessories that stood out on the catwalk include studded heels and small leather gloves.

Wearing studded heels instantly transforms your image and your outfit.

It’s the same with the gloves’, they are quite an individual item to pull off but instantly assert your fashion identity.

The stand out colour on the catwalk was gold.

It was a popular colour for many party outfits so was mainly found in the form of satin or sequins.

The two gorgeous gold dresses, pictured top centre, are from Coast; they will be pricey but they are pieces to keep.

Gold and Christmas go hand in hand so it’s worth spending that little bit more on something that you can keep.

This was the message from the stylist, Bradley Taylor.

He told Lifestyle that this season everyone should invest in a “hero piece”; he explained this as an item that would go with everything and could be worn time and time again.

I suggest a blazer or leather jacket as your hero piece; initially they hit your bank account hard but when you’re still wearing it throughout next year it will have been a bargain.

For more pictures of the event view the fashion gallery included on this page.