Winter Fashion Shoot

Welcome to our Fashion Prospectus 2011. On a cold November morning Lifestyle took over Firth Court for our winter fashion shoot, celebrating all things vintage. Have a flick through the gallery to see the shots from our shoot. Many thanks to Cow and Freshmans for providing the clothes.

It’s 9am on a frosty November morning, and I’m standing on the pavement in front of Firth Court feeling distinctly warm in my cardigan and jeans as I watch Forge Press’s models, fresh from the ‘secret party’ preparations, as they pose in their mini dresses and heels.

Frostbitten, they all arrived at 8am, with pancakes and biscuits ready to wake them up, to have their hair styled and their make-up applied. Watching this was fascinating – I’ve never been able to come up with party looks, but the sequins and deep shades used by Forge’s make up artists will certainly be inspiring me this Christmas. The hair stylists, too, are incredible. The transformations are rapid and complete, matching the outfits and the theme to a tee.

Backstage, everything is a bit manic. We’re running to a tight deadline. We only have five hours to recreate a perfect Christmas party, to style it, to shoot it, and, inevitably, to clean up the mess afterwards.

It’s a good job, then, that everyone is so willing to chip in. Had I been asked to stand on the steps of the dominating Firth Court building, dressed up to the nines, as the sun rose over Sheffield, I’d almost certainly have said “no” – especially with the added bonus of random students, members of the public and even Union President Josh Forstenzer wandering past and looking a bit confused.

Admittedly, party poppers and balloons don’t make up most people’s regular Tuesday morning, but who’s counting?

The first photos are very much on the party theme, with cute vintage style dresses and heels being the theme of the day for the girls, and with the guys dressed in… well, what guys always wear to parties, really; shirts and jeans. When Sam is asked to wear a Red Indian style headdress, though, he’s not all that reluctant; Katie’s Minnie Mouse ears and the facial jewels, bubble blowing and balloons all add together to create a genuine party atmosphere… and with this horrible chill in the air, it has to be said that it’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!

As the models pose on the steps of Firth Court, I can’t help but think that they look a bit like a colder, more British version of the cast of Gossip Girl. Think of the covers of the DVD boxsets, with Blair and her friends pouting into the cameras… or all the way back to Season One as they sat on the steps of Constance and planned their own spectacular parties. The preppy, chic looks that the stylists have gone for are classic Gossip Girl – vintage, with that modern edge which makes it stand out. The shades, too, are perfect for this season. “Camel” (which I believe is a euphemism for “a brownish shade somewhere close to beige”) is this season’s go-to colour, as well as being near-perfect for the surroundings, with the red-brick of the old heart of the university bringing out the shades in the clothes and accessories beautifully.

Having spent all morning wandering round backstage accosting people for quotes about what they’re looking forward to wearing and doing this Christmas, I’m in no doubt that the people helping out at this shoot know exactly what they’ll be wearing this festive season; following their advice, while adding your own unique twist, is almost certainly the way to go.

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

See more of Ed’s photography at: www.edwardmillerphoto.com