If you haven’t heard Little Mix’s new single, then you need to. The song not only takes a swipe at Perrie’s ex Zayn Malik, but also represents female empowerment in a way reminiscent of the Spice Girls.

The song begins with Perrie solely singing the first verse, and completely ripping into her ex’s sexual abilities, “I hope she gettin’ better sex, / Hope she ain’t fakin’ it like I did”. This is satirical, but it’s also reassuring. Perrie rolls off clichéd lines used by every girl going through a break up that make us relate to her. It’s no wonder so many people are hooked.

Not only are the lyrics entertaining, but the music itself is catchy. Little Mix have received some criticism for the track, with several commentators accusing them of copying G.R.L.’s song, ‘Ugly Heart’. G.R.L. even responded to the song, tweeting “#ShoutOutToUglyHeart”. Regardless, the music adds to the upbeat nature of the lyrics, arguably emphasising the sassiness of the song.
That’s the best thing about this song.

It’s sassy, rather than bitter. Whilst acknowledging Zayn broke her heart, the song presents Perrie as stronger and better because of it, “I’m all the way up, I swear you’ll never bring me down”. It’s written from the point of view of someone who has moved on; someone who is over it, and that’s what makes it so great. This was reflected in their X Factor performance too, as the group couldn’t stop smiling. The performance strikingly contrasted with Taylor Swift’s 2013 Grammy performance, when she faked an English accent to make a dig at ex-boyfriend Harry Styles. Taylor’s performance reeked of bitterness; Little Mix’s smelt of success.

During the third chorus, Perrie sings alone before the rest of the group join in. Fans on social media have claimed this signifies her bandmates stepping up to support her in the wake of Zayn dumping her. Again, the energetic X Factor performance draws comparisons, this time with images of Perrie breaking down in tears at concerts last year.

The song on the whole symbolises female empowerment and strength. Whether you like pop or not, this will be the song you turn to when your heart gets broken, or the song you drunkenly scream the words to when you’re on your next girls’ night out.

1 COMMENT