Thomas Myers recently got a chance to speak to singer songwriter Tom Grennan.

Based in London, originally from Bedford, Tom is currently riding the wave of success that follows his signing to Sony’s Insanity label and being featured on the Chase and Status track ‘All Goes Wrong’.

2016 has been a big year for you: you’ve released your EP, your track with Chase and Status has come out, appeared at Wireless festival and on Jools Holland. What stands out as your high point of the year so far?
Probably playing at Wireless – I went from playing to about 100 people to playing at Finsbury Park in in front of 65,000 people, it’s mad!

How is the tour with Chase and Status going?
It’s been wicked man, the shows have been cool. We’ve done Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester and then Birmingham tomorrow. There have been loads of jokes, lots of hard work and the crowds have been wicked!

How did the collaboration with Chase and Status come about?
My record label and my publishing label got wind of one of my songs – this was when I was just about to get signed. My publisher sent the song to Chase and Status and they loved what they heard and they were like “we want to write a song with you!”

Do you notice a difference between your solo gigs and the shows you do with Chase and Status? Do you prepare differently?
Yeah, there’s a big difference because my music isn’t like the song I’ve done with Chase and Status, it’s not drum and bass. But I love high energy anyway so I don’t prepare myself in different ways, I go into a show the same way I would go into any show.

You come across confidently on stage but do you ever have an issue with nerves? You mentioned you were playing in front on 65,000 people for Wireless.
I was shitting myself when I left home in the morning but as soon as I got there man I was like, “this is what I want to do so put me in the deep end and lets see how I get on.” And luckily, I got on alright.

When will we be seeing more music from you?
February time there’ll be another EP and then hopefully an album in the new year.

What can we expect from the album?
Expect an epic sound… expect strings, expect horns, expect epicness!

Who inspires you as a singer or a musician?
Amy Winehouse, Solomon Burke, Timmy Thomas, Ray Charles, and Alex Turner. I grew up on grime music so Boy Better Know and all them lot. Obviously American hip hop so Snoop Dogg, Eminem and the Game. I take influences from different things but really I’m trying to make my own sound.

If you could work with any artist who would it be?
I’d like to collaborate with Adele, that would be a big one.

What drives you as a singer? what makes you go out and perform?
Just the love of it, its not a chore or anything – its love. That’s the drive, the love behind it.

Thanks for chatting with us. Best of luck with the album and best of luck with the tour.
Nice one, big up Sheffield and big up Bedford!