In the absence of the Arctic Monkeys, have you been missing the iconic Sheffield sound of heavy, unapologetic, fast-paced indie anthems? Then, four-piece band, Idle Ross’ debut single ‘Into the Thick of It’ might just be the answer.

The record, which unashamedly pays homage to Kasabian and The Strokes, starts with strong, slow beats, making you sit up straight as you realise a classic, catchy rock tune is about to be stuck in your head for the next 48 hours. 

As lead singer, Ross Green starts to growl the provocative lyrics “Don’t you think that things look different, in the night? Can’t believe that you’d be such a hypocrite, wasting my time.” you’re suddenly transported to a sub-standard Saturday night, where negative, drunk-fuelled emotions are penetrating your thoughts.

In other words, we’ve all been there.

The snarling cynicism of the lyrics, coupled with explosive electric guitar riffs, gives the song an addictive and exhilarating quality. If you’re pining for a track which takes you back to that rowdy, early morning session which got you kicked out of Green Room, then you’ll probably be pressing replay. Despite the chaotic, rough and readiness of the song, the magic of the record lies in its simplicity. The lyrics are relatable, unambiguous and symptomatic of how it feels to be pissed off.

Idle Ross, are a new Sheffield rock band, which formed in September 2017 and have already made their mark on their home city with crowded, sweat-filled gigs at the likes of The Frog and Parrot and Pedler Night Market.

You can experience the passionate rock ‘n’ roll frenzy of an Idle Ross gig for yourself, as the band are set to play at Tramlines this summer.

‘Into The Thick Of It’ was released on Friday 6th April and you can listen to it on Spotify, and buy the track here