Album Review: Fair Ohs – Everything is Dancing

9/10

In the uniform indie world of guitars, percussion and vocals it is always refreshing to hear attempts at innovation.

A band that encapsulates influences that transcend various intercontinental scenes, Fair Ohs’ debut Everything is Dancing is an album that can take you to the nether regions of the world.

With sounds of The Rumble Strips and Fela Kuti, Fair Ohs marry their pop sensibilities with the syncopated patterns of indigenous African music.

They’re an infectious band whose grooves make it imperative for you to move your head, shoulders, knees and toes.

Listening to ‘Almost Island’, just imagine you and your best mates drinking a can and dancing in the festival mud, merrily and repeatedly shouting “my friends / my friends are tough”.

They’re a summertime band but if the weather doesn’t comply with their nature, this album will take you to tropics and beaches, with a glass of Pimms in hand, dancing to your heart’s content.

‘Colours’ is a particular favourite. Psychedelic in parts, carried through with an addictive bassline and their signature straight-to-the-point unambiguous lyrics, it’s arguable that Fair Ohs are a band that doesn’t say much.

Rather than a negative critique, this makes them more endearing and clearly shows that they are a band that holds a simply musical message. They give us a break from the Zach de la Rocha’s of the world because they just want to make us dance.

Afro-beat is musical genre for the thinking-man’s band to play with. Foals, the late Larrikin Love and the majestic TV on the Radio draw influence from this sub-Saharan sound.

Fair Ohs are a small band with a big sound willing to venture into inspired musical landscapes, taking risks that only a ‘mighty pharaoh’ would take.

Michelle Maria