Album Review: Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers – Pandemonium Ensues

If the name ‘Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers’ wasn’t enough to strike fear into the self-respecting music lover’s soul, then this album will most likely do the job. Despite his beginnings in legendary British band Squeeze in the 1970’s, Glenn Tilbrook appears to have settled for becoming the face of mediocre Radio 2-friendly pop music.¬†

The slightly ludicrous folk bonanza that is ‘Best of Times’ opens Tilbrook’s latest effort, and it wouldn’t be inaccurate to say that in parts it resembles family-function favourite ‘The Birdie Song’. This theme continues throughout most of the album, with tracks occasionally recreating noises expected of a bad ELO tribute band. Thankfully, none of these tracks span for more than three-and-a-half minutes.

Even though the album boasts appearances from Johnny Depp (yes, Jack Sparrow himself) on ‘Too Close To The Sun’ and his wife Vanessa Paradis on ‘Interest & Love’, neither track lives up to expectations. Putting high expectations aside, album closer ‘Too Close To The Sun’ is by far the highlight. Its psychedelic haze manages to ignite a small spark of excitement which its predecessors could easily extinguish. It could be mistaken for an old cartoon theme tune; or MGMT after dabbling with the work of The Tornados.

Pandemonium Ensues makes little sense; the title misrepresents everything it contains. You spend 45 minutes patiently waiting for the pandemonium to ensue, only to realize that the golden days of ‘Cool for Cats’ and ‘Up the Junction’ are far gone.

Glenn Tilbrook official website 

Glenn Tilbrook @ MySpace