Album Review: The Juliets – A Pefect Season

A Perfect Season is a dynamic illustration of music with a backbone. Consisting of, Jeremy Freer, Sarah Myers, Kaylan Mitchell, Ashton Hopkins and Jax Phillips, The Juliets are a theatrical, classically-leaning quintet who create progressive music extemporaneously.

Since forming in 2008, the band have become known for their textured musical improvisations. For fans of, Manchester Orchestra and Arcade Fire, A Perfect Season is entirely accessible, despite standing out from today’s independant scene.

Originally from Detroit, Freer and Myers somehow create a musical addiction through strings and vocals. Combine this with the delicate sound of a cello and mastery of the keys and you gain a patchwork sound-wave, fused together by fantastic indie and chic classical.

Music once considered to be ‘indie’ has become particularly mainstream as of late, but it’s acts like The Juliets who keep independent music fresh and the ultimate alternative to the mainstream.

Picking up the tempo with ‘Only You’, The Juliets are simply the ones to watch. ‘Last Memory’ is a purely instrumental track, which although appearing slightly sinister, is engaging and a fantastic listen.

‘Fashion’ encompasses their whole concept of baroque pop, whereas their title track is actually more beautifully subtle and sombre and ‘Hey Stars’ is the sexy and sultry alternative piece which makes classical cool.

8/10