Album Review: The Moth & The Mirror – Honestly, This World

Honestly, This World

Glaswegian band The Moth & The Mirror’s latest album is great compilation of indie rock and acoustic songs that range from chilled out tracks to toe-tapping tunes you can blast out at full volume. With Honestly, This World, the band take another step forwards in the UK music scene.

Lead vocalist Stacey Sievwright breathes life into the simple yet well-constructed lyrics, switching from a sweet and gentle voice to almost ominous in some cases, creating an air of siren-like seductiveness and mystery reminiscent of Editors.

‘Fire’ demands attention with some beautiful harmonies as the only track majorly featuring Louis Abbot on vocals. It stands out from the rest, the change to male vocals giving it an entirely different dynamic.

The album juxtaposes gentle ballads with heavy riffs in a way that connects you to each song. ‘Boxes’ in particular lures you in to a false sense of security and calm before hitting hard and heavy bringing home the emotional gravitas of the song right where it needs to be.

The title track feels unsure of itself, and is one of the few cases where the sudden shift in tone and tempo doesn’t feel quite right, although the upbeat mid section has almost achieves it’s potential.

Some tracks outshine others which is particularly noticeable when listening to the album as a whole and tracks like ‘Beautiful Creature’ and ‘Hope Is an Anchor’ can bring you down a little after hearing the more active songs that precede them.

That said, the talent really shines through. Honestly, This World may be a rough diamond but it’s worth taking a look and The Moth & The Mirror are certainly one to keep an eye on.

7/10