Album Review: The Overtones – Good Ol’ Fashioned Love

Good Ol' Fashioned Love

The Overtones, a doo-wop boy band, were plucked from obscurity in a manner more akin to a movie than reality. Supposedly they were discovered while singing during their tea break at their old job as decorators, and to go along with their unlikely break is equally unlikely success.

The ‘Platinum Version’ of debut album Good Ol’ Fashioned Love that has been re-released features three bonus tracks from more familiar and modern artists. Of the three covers (Adele’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’, Rihanna’s ‘Only Girl in the World’ and er, Madcon’s ‘Beggin’’ [Ed - 'Beggin'' was originally popularised by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons however was recently reintroduced to the mainstream by Madcon's half-arsed cover]) it’s the cover of Rihanna’s hit that stands out most, with the deep bass voice of Lachie Chapman on lead vocals complementing the higher tones of the four other members as well as the understated backing drums and piano.

On the other hand ‘Rolling in the Deep’ suffers by comparison to the grandstanding original, as it lacks the emotional and percussive punch of Adele and the doo-wopping makes it all sound slightly ridiculous.

The original album songs are mainly covers as well with only three of the fifteen being written by the band. The songs chosen are hardly classics and The Overtones don’t change that.  Lead vocalist Tim Matley fails to inject many of songs with any real emotion and he sounds like a cheap man’s Michael Buble.

With the instrumentation on the album very much a secondary feature on many of the songs surely designed to give the vocals chance to shine, sadly they don’t.

There are some bright spots; lead single ‘Gambling Man’ is a bouncy, breezy affair with the trumpets that create an effective backing giving Matley’s vocals an environment in which they can deliver.

The songs where Lachie Chapman leads the vocals or features prominently are generally a cut above as his bass adds a different dimension; in particular he and Matley work well together on ‘Say What I Feel.’ But generally the album is a schmaltzy affair and rarely anything more than mediocre.

5/10

33 Responses to “Album Review: The Overtones – Good Ol’ Fashioned Love”

1. Paula

That is ridiculous! Their album is awesome and Timmy is a brill singer. The Platinum Edition actually has 6 new songs.

Reply
  2. s wilson

what an awful review Patrick did they refuse you a chance of being in the band?? because you come across rather bitter and nasty.
    1) its Lachie not latchie
    2) beggin is a frankie vailli song covered by madcon. But im sure u slated them for it as well.

Give the guys a chance i have seen them live several times and they are amazing and engage with the fans from start to finish. I agree its not everyones cup of tea (i.e the people who think being trendy is a top priority) but you can sing and dance along with them what more could a person want??

Each to there own!

Reply
  3. Sarah

May I suggest you have your ears syringed? This is a fantastic album by five wonderful singers who I have had the privilege of seeing live. It makes a wonderfully refreshing change from the usual manufactured rubbish we are constantly subjected to.

Reply
  4. Elle

Load of old rubbish. The album is fantastic & the guys should be proud of themselves for getting platinum edition. Wouldn’t have gone to number 24 in the album charts if it was as review says. Well done lads u deserve a good review on a fantastic album xx

Reply
  5. elaine hennessey

just a thought… But did you clear your ears out before listening to this album? These guys have done each and every song justice. Check again and you will also notice on the platinum edition there are 6 original Overtones songs not 3. Maybe if you were to pay more attention to the CD and its contents you would truly appreciate it, just like the rest of us. :)

Reply
  6. Jaime

Might I suggest you stuck to listening to nursery rhymes as your musical tastes must be exceptionally lax. The songs these wonderful guys covered are classics but I’m guessing you wouldn’t know a classic if it hit you in the face. Their own songwriting abilities far surpass those around today by a long shot, I’d rather listen to these phenomenally talented lads over Rhianna singing about a bloody umbrella anyday. The fact that you slate beggin’ a song by the legend that us frankie vallie goes to show your conceptual tastes in music are not with the times… I’m sure a sellout nationwide tour, countless tv performances, a charity album song, a platinum selling album and a legion of adoring fans mean nothing don’t they (please note sarcasm)

Reply
  7. Izzy

Absolute rubbish!! Best album i have heard in years and having been lucky enough to see them live in bristol last week, i can say one of, if not the best, live acts i have ever seen

Reply
  8. heidi

this man has no taste as this is what REAL music sounds like love i think you need a new day job!! this album is amazing and so are the lads voices maybe some of todays artist should take note!!

Reply
  9. Lindsay Smith

Well the reviewer needs to take his fingers out of his ears and really listen to why is a refreshing contemporary take on what are classics if you have any taste in music whatsoever. The songs the band have written combine all the essential elements of a great song. Timmy has the most amazing voice since Gene Pitney and Neil Sedaka with a great modern lilt. They are both a great talent on the album and a fantastic live act. Plus really great guys. This reviewer should think about a career reviewing things that don’t require musical appreciation or recognition of real talent.

Reply
  10. Lindsay Smith

Well the reviewer needs to take his fingers out of his ears and really listen to what is a refreshing contemporary take on what are classics if you have any taste in music whatsoever. The songs the band have written combine all the essential elements of a great song. Timmy has the most amazing voice since Gene Pitney and Neil Sedaka with a great modern lilt. They are both a great talent on the album and a fantastic live act. Plus really great guys. This reviewer should think about a career reviewing things that don’t require musical appreciation or recognition of real talent.

Reply
  11. Chantal

Dear Patrick

We appreciate everyone is entitled to their opinion, however if you write a review I suggest you get your facts right and know how to spell the band members names correctly for starters.

The band have been together for quite few years and the largest part of the success of The Overtones can be credited to the blend of these 5 voices. The music on the album is a mixture between your traditional Doo Wop and current day pop songs with an Overtones twist. If this is not your type of music that is fine, but there is no need to publicly slate and question their “story”.

If anything else, have a look at the one hit wonders that are flooding our charts these days as a result of the numerous “talent” shows on TV, of which most haven’t seen a recording studio or a stage until they got catapulted in to their own down fall and won’t make it to even record a second album.

These guys are all very talented and know how to emphasise their vocal strenghts and work on their weaknesses as a band. They have not been put together by a media mogul, as opposed to many other groups…

I suggest you either give the album another listen and perhaps this will change your mind. If not I strongly suggest you choose your words better for future reviews.

Reply
  12. Tom Fletcher

After having a quick listen, I have to agree with you Patrick. It’s not a ‘bad’ album, but it’s pretty average and forgettable. Plus, anybody considering ‘Rolling in the deep’ and ‘Only Girl in the World’ as classics needs to open their ears a little. Keep it up mate.

Reply
    • Darren Taylor

@Tom Fletcher, I think the reviewer was referring to the old songs as classics, or rather not in his misguided opinion. Putting an Overtones twist on old classics and modern pop songs is the guys trademark. I suggest you listen to the harmonies, compare to the originals and appreciate the undoubted talent on show rather than dismissively call their work forgettable.

And for the reviewer, only 3 tracks on the album written by the band? Very very poor research. Vocals don’t shine? Seriously now, are you having a laugh? Having seen the boys live three times now I can assure you that their vocals are top notch.

Reply
      • Forge Screen Tom Fletcher

@Darren Taylor, I should probably clarify. The singing is obviously fantastic. But, as a modern album, I just don’t think it has the legs to be remembered in a year’s time. None of these cover versions will replace their originals in terms of popularity. Remember The Baseballs? They were similar, but fairly short term in their success. Of course, I could be wrong here. But if you agreed with every critic, life would be very boring, wouldn’t it?

Reply
  13. Emma

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but your review comes across more as a dig rather than a review. May I suggest that in your future reviews if you are going to comment on the origins of a band that you are correct with your facts. These guys were not simply painters who were plucked off the street, they were first and formost a band and had worked hard for several years before getting the opportunity to impress Warner.
    As for the new platinum album there are actually 6 extra songs several of them being written by the band and Beggin which you incorrectly stated as a cover of Madcon was actually a Franki Vally original.
    I suggest to anyone who is tired of the one hit wonders and auto tuned artists that have dominated the charts to check The Overtones out on YouTube and see for themselves just how talented and infectious their music is rather than relying on your review.

Reply
  14. Mary Palmer

Did you actually listen to the album or are you just needing somebody to slag off? The album is that bad its jumped 20 places or so in the charts and the boys are such mediocre singers they are currently on a tour which I’m more than certain is sold out. These guys sing LIVE as well. I think you need to take your fingers out your ears and give Good Ol’ Fashioned Love the excellent review it more than merits.

Reply
  15. Forge Music Forge Music

The Overtones are clearly a talented grop of vocalists. However, Patrick is right to point out that Good Ol’ Fashion Love is an album predominantly made from covers and as such will never be considered a ‘classic’ as it lacks true originality. While the band do put a fresh twist on things, it never really excels.

People are clearly passionate about this album, and that is fantastic, but when a critical eye is cast over it there are a series of shortcomings that Patrick has rightly identified.

You may disagree with his points, but he hasn’t been intentionally cruel, he’s just been honest.

Furthermore, Lachie’s name has been corrected so let’s drop that now.

Now, for all you Overtones fans here is a little present. Truly exceptional a cappella performance of pop tracks delivered in a light hearted way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adqae7A3MHA

Reply
    • Emma

Nowhere in the original article does it state that The Overtones are a talented group of vocalists as your comment claims is clear, in fact he makes the claim that they are nothing more than mediocre. A poor attemp to justify a unfactual review.

Reply
      • Forge Music Forge Music

Patrick does mention that the vocals are good, just in a less overt way, we were merely clarifying: ‘ the deep bass voice of Lachie Chapman on lead vocals complementing the higher tones of the four other members as well as the understated backing drums and piano.’ And ‘giving Matley’s vocals an environment in which they can deliver’ are both evidence of this.

Reply
        • Emma

Yes a couple of small comments were made relating to good vocals but they fail to equate to your comment. Also factual inaccuracies are still present, there are actually 6 new songs on this addition, 3 bonus tracks that were mentioned and 3 mixed in with the 12 tracks that were on the first version. The Overtones have also contributed to writing more than the 3 tracks that the review gives them credit for ( reading the inside album sleeve can clarify this ). These are points that should be correct before publication.
          I agree with you on the name calling point, that is unacceptable.

Reply
  16. Darren Taylor

@Forge Music firstly fair play to you for letting everyone have their say and also for coming back at us!

Re: The Blanks, you know what that’s really entertaining and I would listen to more of their stuff!

I think you need to re-read what Patrick said. He said “The songs chosen are hardly classics…” and you’ve responded “album predominantly made from covers and as such will never be considered a ‘classic’”. Clearly two different things, the reviewer wasn’t talking about the album as a whole.

I also disagree that he’s not being intentionally cruel. If not then he needs to think about how he words things. For example “Supposedly they were discovered while singing during their tea break…unlikely break is equally unlikely success.”

That reads like he’s saying he doesn’t believe the story and also saying they won’t have any success. If they weren’t having any success then the album wouldn’t already have gone platinum. They wouldn’t have a sold out tour (their second to much bigger venues). They wouldn’t be making appearances on BBC and ITV so clearly he’s got his facts wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I’m fine with people not liking their music but I’d rather read legimate reasons in a well-balanced article than this… what I can only call trash.

Reply
  17. Forge Music Forge Music

@DarrenTaylor and everyone.
    We are always open to engage in heated discussion about music. The reason we are music critics for Forge Press and ForgeToday.com is because we are exceedingly passionate about music.

I’m glad you enjoyed the blanks, they’re a very good a cappella group

Firstly, to clarify. We meant that the album as a whole isn’t excellent due to the lack of originality in songwriting. We also agree with Patrick’s point that the band’s covers don’t add enough in their reworks; ‘The songs chosen are hardly classics and The Overtones don’t change that.’

Darren, we think you’re reading to much into the sentence ‘Supposedly they were discovered while singing during their tea break…unlikely break is equally unlikely success.’ This isn’t cruel, its incredulous. This story is very strange but quite interesting and we understand Patrick’s doubt.

Obviously a lot of people commenting on this article are fans of The Overtones and therefore will have very strong positive opinions. We’re aware that people have been directed here by a Twitter account endorsing negative comments.

We encourage our critics to approach albums with an open mind and without bias. Patrick has done this and has pointed out flaws that perhaps a die hard fan wouldn’t notice, or care about.

Somebody commented earlier saying that their music is better than a lot of what is played on mainstream radio; so we’re sure we’re all in agreement that ‘popular’ doesn’t always mean good.

Patrick’s article is not trash. You may disagree with him, but his critique of the album is very thorough and he makes many valid points. Although, remember music is subjective and opinions are going to differ between people. We have received many abusive comments directed at Patrick that we haven’t approved and comments like these are far worse than the reasoned argument Patrick makes.

For anyone else planning to comment on this video, calling Patrick a c*nt is not acceptable and these posts will not be published.

Reply
  18. Carole Parfitt

I can only assume that you must have been on some sort of medication when you listened to the album. The Overtones are a highly talented group of young men with wonderful voices and fabulous personalities. We as fans have loved their music from day one and , although everyone is entitled to an opinion, I do think that your so called ‘review’ doesn’t really have any meaning in the real world as it is so factually incorrect. If you are going to criticise an artist, please do your homework first.
    The difference with these lads is that they can actually sing, as well as write songs, and having seen them perform live on many, many occasions I can tell you that they also sing brilliantly live !

Reply
    • Forge Music Forge Music

Carol, I feel compelled to point out that a record and a live performance are very different mediums and should be considered separately of each other when it comes to critical comment.
      If you feel there are more factual inaccuracies can you please bring them to light as we always seek to better ourselves and our writing.

Reply
  19. Carole Parfitt

I was not saying that their live performance was being criticised – I was merely mentioning the fact. Also, the inaccuracies have been mentioned by others in the messages above (except one – you spelt my name wrong ) !

Reply
  20. Forge Music Forge Music

I Apologise, I missed the ‘e’. The inaccuracies were fixed as soon as they were brought to light so I think it’s necessary for the sake of intelligent discussion that we drop them now. I realise you weren’t saying their live performances were being criticised, I was merely pointing out that this is a album review; it’s not uncommon for a band to perform fantastically but falter on a record. Or vice versa for that matter.

Reply
  21. Carole Parfitt

The review I read was the original one , before the changes were made – Thank you for your time.

Reply
  22. Patrick

Hi,
    First of all, apologies for the factual mistakes, they’re unforgivable and sorry about how long it’s taken me to reply. However, I stand by the rest of the review. Let’s be honest, you can praise an album as much as you like but the lack of many original tracks is always a drawback, and approaching from an entirely neutral point of view non of the tracks on the album screamed classic, new or old. If they were classics then the Overtones didn’t make that apparent and I can only judge their version of the songs in question. I didn’t hate or even dislike this album, 5/10 means I found it average. In my opinion some of the songs were in fact enjoyable as I hope I’ve made clear in the review, but a great deal didn’t shine out. Their live performances might be great but I was given the album to review and I’ve tried to do that to the best of my ability. I also concede the point that their voices might be technically fantastic but in my opinion there is more to music than technical excellence and The Overtones generally failed to give their songs any emotional weight or a sense of their own distinct personality. Ultimately the review is just an indication of my own opinion and if it disagrees with yours then that’s just the nature of music.

Reply
  23. Darren Taylor

“We’re aware that people have been directed here by a Twitter account endorsing negative comments” – that’s not true, assuming you’re talking about The_Toners twitter account? I personally posted the tweet encouraging people to reply, I didn’t ask anyone to slander or be negative.

Whoever called Patrick a c*nt doesn’t represent The Toners IMHO. That’s just not on.

I actually think it’s great you guys have responded and I guess good or bad the debate has actually raised your profile!

Just one last point. Doo Wop music is fun. I think to say there’s a lack of emotional kinda misses the point of the genre. It’s not about belting ballads, it’s about singing along and bopping away and just having plain old fun! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo-wop

Reply
  24. Tony McMahon

to be honest patrick, i don’t think you are reviewing music for people like me. I just love parmos really. Did i tell you i was boro caption last week?

Yours,
    Tony

Reply
  25. Beckie Peters

We’re all entitled to our own opinions, so here’s mine..

Patrick, clearly you have no idea about these guys! Yes, their style of music isn’t something which you hear about much these days, but that’s the beauty of it all, they’re bringing it back! Finding the album average is quite frankly an insult to decent music. So ok, they only wrote three songs, but I prefer their version to any originals!
    ‘Lead vocalist Tim Matley fails to inject many of songs with any real emotion and he sounds like a cheap man’s Michael Buble’ – this is STUPID. His voice is one that can brighten up any song, so how can you talk about it not injecting songs with emotion?
    One thing I’m not gonna pick on is the fact you complimented Lachie’s voice.

Thanks for your point of view though, however much I disagree,
    Beckie.

Reply