Album Review: The Sound of Arrows – Voyage

The Sound of Arrows are a clear example that you shouldn’t judge a band by their cover;

Consisting of friends Oskar Gullstrand and Stefan Storm from the same town in Sweden, this band is a must for any fans of European electro-pop, such as Erik Hassle or M83.

Album opener, ‘Into the Clouds’, instills a sense of freedom and an ability to do anything “Let’s escape this town/ these streets and the cars and the crowds/ then into the clouds/ Where nothing could stop us.”

‘There is Still Hope’ is an indisputable highlight. With a slow, soothing electro build up that creates a feeling of expectation and with beautiful lyrics to accompany.

Where TSOA excel is in their ability to create an album that is chilled out enough to enjoy at any time but with enough energy that it never get boring.

‘Wonders’, the bands next single, is another highlight. “I’ll never forget/ how you made me feel/ come make me remember the wonders of that time/ back when you were mine.” It sings of heartbreak and loss but the music gives it an infectious, uplifting spin.

The only real criticism that there is with The Sound of Arrows though, is that they walk a fine line between comprehensive electronica and a soundtrack to a light hearted Disney-tween film and, at times, Voyage falls briefly on the wrong side. In a way they lack the mature sound that other bands in their genre spout, such as Delorean and M83. But give them time to develop their sound before even thinking about writing them off as this is a fantastic first offering.

8/10