Live: Frankie & The Heartstrings

Thurs, March 3rd 2011 – Plug

When Frankie & the Heartstrings took to Plug’s small stage they were met by a generous and enthusiastic array of young faces.

Flamboyant front-man Frankie Francis greeted the audience by thanking them for their support and declaring that the band’s debut album, Hunger, had made it into the UK top 40, continuing by urging fans to “Go out and buy it”.

As soon as the band begin to perform it is clear that it is all about Frankie. The other band members stand there modestly, concentrating on playing their instruments whilst the eccentric and ambitious singer prances about on stage.
Frankie drapes himself around his microphone, poses for pictures taken by the crowd and blows kisses at his adoring audience. His animated presence on stage and overall appearance is reminiscent of a young Morrissey.  Frankie & the Heartstrings’ indie-pop sound is extremely inviting and fun to listen to.

Although they may not be that different to many similar aspiring acts, their throwback style makes them stand out.
Black and white screens showing the band surround the stage, contrasting well with the neon backdrops and every song played sounds identical to the record.

Frankie is a very expressive performer and as he belts out the line “I wrote this song with you in mind”, the whole front row sing along with him. Penultimate song ‘Hunger’ is a crowd pleaser and an obvious hit for the band. They finish their set by announcing that the last time they played in Sheffield, only ten people turned up. Playing to a much larger audience this time, they are bound to continue to have success with their infectious indie gems.